Listening to this now

Mesh

Pictures at an Exhibition - Modest Mussorgsky (Kurt Masur & Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra)

I played this piece in school, I even had a solo in it, and have had a fondness for it ever since.

I usually hear the Maurice Ravel orchestration, this one is orchestrated by Sergei Petrovitch Gortchakov so I don't know if I'll like it better, not as well, or equally.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

"Violets For Your Furs" - Shirley Horn

Thanks Pragi, for jogging my memory. I haven't listened to this great singer/pianist in a long time.

I haven´t known Shirley Horn before, great singer.

Thank you.

Here a video of Zwan, a group in which Paz Lenchantin did  play the bass guitar :

• Like 1

Shirley Live at the Village Vanguard

I believe Miles Davis discovered her playing/singing in a DC jazz club and then promoted her. She never gained great pop commercial success but a very loyal following. I think she deserves much greater recognition.

Edited by Notes_Norton

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Shirley Live at the Village Vanguard

I believe Miles Davis discovered her playing/singing in a DC jazz club and then promoted her. She never gained great pop commercial success but a very loyal following. I think she deserves much greater recognition.

It s rare to hear a Jazz vocalist with so much soul ..

• Like 1

We'll Be Together - Mark Murphy

The only other jazz vocalist I know that can sing a song as slowly as Shirley Horn and make it work as well. Richie Cole the alto sax player was in top form as well. This entire album IMHO is top-notch.

In fact, I saw Mark in Miami, talked to him after the show (he was very approachable) and he turned me on to Shirley Horn.

Edited by Notes_Norton