Listening to this now

Mesh

One of the first saxophone albums I ever bought. I wore out a few LPs and now have it on CD.

The sax improvisations are incredible. It was done live with the orchestra in 2 track stereo, a couple of takes per song, no splicing, no punch ins, and the melodies Stan ad-libbed sound like they were penned with a lot of work. I'm still amazed at his work on this. He has great technical chops, but you don't hear them, you just hear melody.

Note, the first cut, "I'm Late, I'm Late" are both takes played end to end.

Focus - Stan Getz / Eddie Sauter (full album),

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

he gets stuffed down our throats in the uk, like the official mainstream busker

Through constant vigilance, I think I've managed to avoid ever hearing more than a minute of one of his songs.

Occasionally it has involved this:

• Haha 1

But  you gotta admit, the female dancer is both beautiful and a great dancer.

I think I can take him in small doses but wouldn't want a steady diet of his music.

I don't listen to the radio much here. We get a few formats:

• Classical, but not the exciting classical I like, but classical to snooze by
  • Country, the same top 20 Nashville hits again and again and again and again
  • Oldies, basically an advertising station interrupted by short segments of music from the 80s
  • Urban, single chord 'songs' with talking instead of melody will bore me after a while
  • Latin American, the broadcasting tower is too far away and the reception is so bad I can't listen long enough to know if I like it or not

So I have a digital Walkman with over 10,000 tunes culled from my extensive LP, CD, and purchased downloads collection set up in random play mode plugged into the car's AUX jack.

I got the Sheeran video while doing a Band-in-a-Box entry in an e-disk I'm making for the Hal Leonard update of the "Wedding And Love Fake Book". We turn the songs in the fake books into BiaB backing tracks.

It's a moonlighting part-time money maker than in this COVID isolation is getting more time devoted to it in a month than I usually give it in a year.

Notes

• Like 1

This track works wonders when I'm feeling angry (which seems to be more and more of the time thanks to de Piffle and his shitshow of sycophants >:()

One rule for the Elite ... and the Plebs had better remember their place.

• Like 1

Haitian Divorce - Steely Dan

I love the voice box guitar and as usual Bernard Purdie's drums and a delight. Speaking of which, this album is a lesson in how a drummer can support a song  and enhance it, without bringing obvious attention to himself/herself.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1