Listening to this now

Mesh

I never heard of this guy until today. He's a great performer and a fine musician as well. His crowd involvement is great as well.  This one gives me faith in the younger generation.

If you don't know about him, like me yesterday, it's worth checking out just for the show.

With The Love In My Heart - Jacob Collier

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I never heard of this guy until today. He's a great performer and a fine musician as well. His crowd involvement is great as well.  This one gives me faith in the younger generation.

If you don't know about him, like me yesterday, it's worth checking out just for the show.

With The Love In My Heart - Jacob Collier

Good to see that there are highly talented Jazz entertainer in the new generation.

Another one :

• Like 2

Tchaikovsky Symphony No.6 "Pathétique" - Kurt Masur / LGO (1987)

Tchaikovsky said he wept while writing this. Nine days after it's premier, it is suspected he killed himself by knowingly drinking water infected with Cholera.  Others disagree. We'll never know. But his last composition is a great one.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Circular breathing is very difficult on the flute because there is no resistance to the air flow. Hubert Laws is one of the few people I know that can do it. Tell me how many breaths you hear him take in this one:

Romeo & Juliet - Hubert Laws

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Doing a Billy Strayhorn composition. Billy supposedly wrote this in a hospital bed.

Billy wanted to be a classical composer, but it was back in the days when a black man couldn't get into any college that taught classical composition. So he became a jazz composer, and IMO a great jazz composer at that. I feel sad that he couldn't chase his dream but glad that he left so many great jazz tunes.

An Stan was an amazing sax player. Instead of hearing his monster chops, all you hear is melody so nice it could have been composed and revised for days instead of the fact that it was improvised on the spot.

Blood Count - Stan Getz

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

IMO three of the best jazz colleges in the US are (in no particular order) Berklee, University of Miami, and  University of North Texas State. Here are the Texans doing a Ray Noble classic. These kids are hot, and so is the guest soloist.

Cherokee - University of North Texas State One O'Clock Lab Band

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1