Region FX/Melodyne Problems

I love using Melodyne (I have M4 Studio) in the Region FX (RFX) of the tracks. However, lately Cakewalk has been forgetting everything I do in the RFX. So I will pull a song back up, and the track will have "<Melodyne> Track 1" on it, showing that it has been edited in RFX, but if I attempt to open the editing window, it's gone. It just says "Create Region FX." Why is CbB suddenly getting RFX amnesia? Should I go back to the old way of opening Melodyne as an effect on the channel? And is this a common issue, or is it only my system that's doing this?

Edit: This is a hit-and-miss problem. Sometimes if the RFX didn't work, I can close the song and reopen it, then all of my edits are there. There have been times where this didn't work, and it all had to get rebuilt, but ab out 70% of the time it does. That being said, it's massively nerve-wracking when it happens on someone's session, and looks madly unprofessional when you say "oops. I have to reload it because it didn't load correctly..." That doesn't instill faith in clients. So is there any way this can be addressed?

Edited by Moving Air Productions

• 2 years later...

This same thing happened to me today in the middle of a recording session. I closed Bandlab and reopened it, and after reopening the Melodyne RFX regions disappeared. The wave forms are there fortunately. I had to select "Bypass RFX Regions" so at least the track can be heard. I see that no one responded to this issue in 2 years. Bummer for sure.

UPDATE: This disappearance happens only on Melodyne regions. Manual Melodyne applications aren't affected.

Edited by Thorne Ventura

As a rule, Region FX clips should be rendered as soon as possible.

If you need to go back to the unprocessed data start by cloning the track.

Archive the original track then create and render the the Region FX clips on the clone.

• Like 1

Thanks, scook. Not sure how to do what you suggest. How does one APPLY and RENDER to the clips (not complete tracks) that did the region disappearing act? Are you suggesting there's a method for reinstating my region work or are you saying I need to start from scratch?

UPDATE: I've decided I don't like pressing CTL-T to get regions as it seems that with multiple regions, when I enter the editor, they're all combined into one editor as opposed to doing manual Melodyne work where one edit session applies to only the clip to which I applied Melodyne.

UPDATE2: After clicking BYPASS REGIONS multiple times, I got back my region. But now the RENDER REGION is greyed out??? And sometimes when I select BYPASS, I still get no sound from the region. Crazy !

Edited by Thorne Ventura

Well I believe I found a fix. If I delete the Melodyne region from the clip and then UNDO the delete, I get back the Melodyne'd region. I then I take your advice, scook, and RENDER which I assume means the Melodyne becomes permanent? Actually I had better check that when I undo the delete that I do indeed get back the Melodyne'd clip and not the unMelodyned clip.

Edited by Thorne Ventura

Yes, render them ASAP

For future reference, work from a clone of the original track so if anything happens, the original track may be easily recovered.

Archived tracks do not affect DAW performance. The only resource they take up is disk space.

My Melodyne 4 64bit Studio does not start at all on my new PC. Celemony pointed me to their FAQ where there is an article that says Melodyne 64bit does not work with some of the new generation 11 Intel CPUs. They do not explain what the cause is. They say support was dropped 2 years ago and you should upgrade to version 5.

Strangely enough the 32bit version works.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, scook said:

As a rule, Region FX clips should be rendered as soon as possible.

If you need to go back to the unprocessed data start by cloning the track.

Archive the original track then create and render the the Region FX clips on the clone.

Archived tracks do not affect DAW performance. The only resource they take up is disk space.

+1  -  This is my method

To add to that, use the Track Manager to select all archived tracks and uncheck them (hide them from view).  In Console view under -Strips- deselect archived to hide them from view.  Or Insert all archived tracks in a Track Folder if prefer having immediate access to them.

Archiving original unprocessed tracks is a major peace of mind

@twelvetone  This is why software needs to be updated to stay compatible with latest OS. If you choose not to update software then you need to use the system it was designed for.

Many of us still have old XP and W7 systems just for this reason.

Melodyne 5 was best investment I made last year. I think they made many improvements and I now use it with out issues unlike M4 which was never stable for me. 

Melodyne 5 is significantly more stable than v4, so if you have the option to upgrade... it's well worth it. I haven't seen any issues with Melodyne clips recently, and I've been doing a lot of testing with various project with a bunch of Melodyne clips. 

Printing FX is not a bad idea to future-proof backups for your projects, but shouldn't be necessary on a day-to-day basis for projects. 

• Like 1