Unable to watching youtube tutorials with WDM

Eric Swardt

I don’t know if anybody else are having this problem. All the youtube tutorials for cakewalk by bandlab is a really great help for me. Only problem is I can not watch youtube while following the tutorial in Cakewalk. Let me explain better.

For background, I have 2 screens, so I want to watch the video on the second screen while Cakewalk is on the main screen. I have a presonus FP10 soundcard (this is old but still works great), plus a Soundcraft Ui24R, and I use my Boss GT100 to record my guitar. My motherboard use a Nividia driver for the onboard sound,

If I watch youtube while using my FP10 with ASIO drivers it works great. No problem.

For Cakewalk,  to record I however had to start using the WDM drivers, as ASIO does not support multiple divices. Latency is a bit worse, but it works. Problem is I can not watch youtube tutorials while Cakewalk runs WDM drivers.

Current workaround is to change drivers every time I want to  watch tutorials. This is annoying, but works. However it is then impossible to record with multiple devices.

I do not see many people complain about this, so I assume it is only me and everybody else have solved the problem. If so, may I please ask to share the solution that would allow my to watch youtube while Cakewalk runs WDM drivers with multiple devices.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Eric Swardt

I disabled all onboard audio drivers permanently, and switched to asio. I use it both for recording and playback as well as YouTube and other windows sounds. You have to make sure you set the sample rate and bit depth in Windows to the same as you're using in Cakewalk.

I have just the opposite setup. Cakewalk is using an ASIO driver for my digital mixer. Windows uses a separate system with a different driver. In the past I used the built in audio for Windows now I use an SB card. This gives me the use of any audio from MP4s (showing vidieos)or MP3s on the Windows system while all my DAWs and audio Editors use the digital mixer.  The two never interact with one another.  I have been doing it this way for many years without any problems.  Plus I don't need to have my serious audio on when I'm not doing anything with it. 

I do the same as John, but I've also got other sound devices I use and switch between.

What I do is keep different copies of AUD.INI, which I copy to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\ whenever I switch sound devices (and before I startup Cakewalk).  So in essence, each AUD.INI is a different audio setup "profile".  Using this method seems to stop Cakewalk getting confused when I change my setup.

You can reset everything by deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\ , and let Cakewalk re-create it. You'll need to set your buffer size, sample rates etc again, but it'll be a clean copy.

Then make a backup copy of it. 

Whenever anything goes weird, you can just copy your backup AUD.INI back to  %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I do the same as John, but I've also got other sound devices I use and switch between.

What I do is keep different copies of AUD.INI, which I copy to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\ whenever I switch sound devices (and before I startup Cakewalk).  So in essence, each AUD.INI is a different audio setup "profile".  Using this method seems to stop Cakewalk getting confused when I change my setup.

You can reset everything by deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\ , and let Cakewalk re-create it. You'll need to set your buffer size, sample rates etc again, but it'll be a clean copy.

Then make a backup copy of it. 

Whenever anything goes weird, you can just copy your backup AUD.INI back to  %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\

Hi Mark

This sounds interesting. Do you copy, paste and rename the aud.ini in windows explorer, or do you have a app that does this? Can you change aud.ini with Cakewalk running? Would this not require you to quit Cake each time you switch? 

3 hours ago, Eric Swardt said:

Hi Mark

This sounds interesting. Do you copy, paste and rename the aud.ini in windows explorer, or do you have a app that does this? Can you change aud.ini with Cakewalk running? Would this not require you to quit Cake each time you switch? 

The answer is, it depends.

If it's switching from ASIO to WDM, I just copy in windows explorer.

If I'm switching from my Focusrite to my Yamaha mLAN setup, this involves more stuff so I've got a batch file to do it (with a shortcut to it on the desktop). This also involves a reboot, so quitting Cakewalk is the least of my concerns.

Cakewalk reads AUD.INI at startup, so yes, you do have to quit Cakewalk each time.

To be honest though, for what you're doing you shouldn't need to quit Cakewalk. Changing to WDM should be fine within Cakewalk.

Swapping driver modes constantly back and forth between WDM & ASIO can mess up AUD.INI though, so once you're finished with WDM, quit Cakewalk and copy your "clean" ASIO AUD.INI back.