BandLab Technologies reveals new brand vision for Cakewalk

cclarry

19 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Are there any new features worth special mention in the latest Mixbus? I stopped following the changes somewhere between version 4 to 6 :) but Mixbus does offer good sale on upgrades so I could always think of going back assuming it's growing nicely as a DAW and getting that polish a Cakewalk user would be looking for.

You can sort of test Mixbus in an indirect way. Just see if you can grab a copy of Ardour either by compiling it yourself under Windows or using a Linux install or Live distro. The only thing which differentiates Ardour for Mixbus is the proprietary Harrison stuff built into it. Everything else is the same. Even the developers are the same for both versions.

Usage wise, if you know how to use ProTools, you'll use Mixbus straight away.

EDIT - Scratch the compiling stuff for Windows. Ardour doesn't provide any documentation for it, refuses to do so and all guides you'll find for it are outdated. The challenge is not compiling Ardour itself, but all of its dependencies.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

2 hours ago, Keni said:

Bad comparison. The reason is unimportant. I didn’t hear you making claims about why Gibson caused all this.

The point is that the original company is gone along with any obligations THEY had to you.

This is a new company who’s so far I’ve only given you things for free  yet you complain when they ask for some recompense 

Haven't used Cakewalk since the lifetime debacle, because it made me irate and Bandlab has left a bunch of the Cakewalk IP to rot. Bandlab hasn't given me a thing. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Anxiousmofo

1 minute ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Haven't used Cakewalk since the lifetime debacle, because it made me irate and Bandcamp has left a bunch of the Cakewalk IP to rot. Bandcamp hasn't given me a thing. 

Cheers. 

Guessing you meant to say Bandlab?

I think we need to relearn that people are entitled to their opinion.
If you want to buy the new Sonar then buy it!
If you don't then don't!

You're welcome to express your reasons why!

BUT...

Don't expect others to feel the same way that you feel,
or berate them because they don't feel the same way you do!

WE can make up our own minds!  ALL OF US...for ourselves!

• Like 14

As a former user of SPlat who keeps CbB up to date but uses Studio One Pro now, I will pay for the new SONAR (SOnew) as long as my collaborators continue to do so. We don't exchange project files but when I'm the genesis of a song I create a tracking shell in CbB that has all the tempo/markers etc along with .wav files of the song to track to. I do the same for my Studio One collaborators but that's a no brainer since it's already setup.

All my observations thus far are meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

See Lars' snippet:

13 minutes ago, cclarry said:

If you don't then don't!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluzdog said:

FYI: At the bottom of the new website there is a link to the Sonar Legacy website. Under support you can login in to your old account and access your legacy products.

Thanks for this. I have been able to upgrade my CA2A and Rapture to 64bit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The simple fact you had to create an account in an unrelated service to have access to it points to that. And the licenses you have to renew every 6 months. Why would a company offering a free product care about keeping track of how many users are downloading it or who are those users otherwise? A company doesn't necessarily have to annoy you with targeted ads to profit off your data. Also, who guarantees they won't now that they have to convince you to buy their shiny brand new product?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I was asking if you had evidence, not speculation.

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Why would a company offering a free product care about keeping track of how many users are downloading it or who are those users otherwise? 

This has already been addressed in the forum.

59 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I think we need to relearn that people are entitled to their opinion.
If you don't then don't!

You're welcome to express your reasons why!

BUT...

Don't expect others to feel the same way that you feel,
or berate them because they don't feel the same way you do!

Wait...  NOW you're telling us we don't have to buy everything we see here??!  😮

😜

• Haha 4

Nowadays most DAWs come with a bundle of plugins and tools. I have purchased a few DAWs just for the included plugins, Reason is probably the best example of a product that people may want to buy for what it includes, no matter if Reason is their primary DAW or not.

I've heard newcomers sometimes regretting not having purchased Sonar when it was available, because of the bundled items that were not included in CbB (not just 3rd party but CW plugins like Dimension Pro, Rapture, etc). When Sonar gets resurrected as a paid product, maybe that will open up the doors for including a nice bundle of plugins again and e.g., reviving and revamping the CW plugins that have been languishing in limbo.

Speculation: Perhaps that would be an easier transition from free to paid, making it freemium where the bare DAW is free, but not the better versions with bundled products

oh, and I agree with the principle that lifetime subscribers to Sonar should not have to pay a new subscription (or a fixed price)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Haven't used Cakewalk since the lifetime debacle, because it made me irate and Bandlab has left a bunch of the Cakewalk IP to rot. Bandlab hasn't given me a thing. 

Cheers. 

So you made yourself “suffer” with anger and action against Cakewalk who did nothing wrong. It was Gibson who did the nasty!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I'm surprised that something like Renoise hasn't gained much tracktion (ha!), being a modern tracker with VST support. For only $75. I'm sure all of us 80s-90s kids can still read hexidecimal.

Renoise did get a little attention, but hardware ones seem to making a mini-comeback. The downside of software trackers are that they don't offer the freedom from computers that hardware offers.

• scook locked this topic