Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

9 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

My only concern with vector based UI is that it will introduce extra overhead in the DAW. Dorico uses a vector based interface and the sofware is very unresponsive even on high end machines, as controls only respond a few seconds after you clicked them and the program becomes slower as you start actually doing stuff.

What may hold for one application has no bearing on what holds true for another. We  habitually do performance profiling to ensure our changes don't add unexpected overhead.

I see some folks are making assumptions about what "vector" means. In our case, vector guarantees that our nominal control sizes, text, background elements and everything else will render crisp and clear at any DPI and scale. I promise the app won't present absurdly scaled images or text and leave you with a wonky look. Rather it'll look "just right," on any display.

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

In order to collaborate with the post, below is an evaluation of the 23 best DAWs of 2023.

https://woodandfirestudio.com/pt/die-12-besten-daws/#:~:text=força em força.-,PreSonus Studio One%3A O melhor DAW por pouco dinheiro,Sphere (%2414.95%2Fmês).

Detail: Cakewalk the best free.

When it ceases to be free, its valuation scale will certainly change......

Edited by Milton Sica
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Helios.G said:

Just saw a preview of pricing.  Apparently $499 is the price for the top tier level.  It scales down from there.  I've been with cakewalk since music maker, and then sonar 5.  But 500 bucks in this day and age when competitors are available for a quarter of that, and current inflation is obscene.  This is the quoted text I saw in a preview window on google, you can't actually see it when you click through, but you can search for cakewalk pricing on google and see the text preview.

"$49.99/MO. ... Pay for SONAR in monthly installments for 12 months and own SONAR forever. Rent to Own. Other ways to buy SONAR Platinum. Top Dealers Buy ...

$499.00"

On a link further down I saw this too.

"SONAR - Compare Versions

Price, $49, $99, $199, $499 ; Updated, Periodically, Monthly, Monthly, Monthly."

And this one.

"$9.99/MO. ... Pay for SONAR in monthly installments for 12 months and own SONAR forever. Rent to Own. Other ways to buy SONAR Artist. Top Dealers Buy ...

$99.00"

I was hoping for a competitive monthly and yearly option, but I can't plunk down 500 or 50 a month right now, as much as a I love the platform 

We haven't released pricing information yet for any of our new products.

Your source is a reference to obsolete information for discontinued products from the Gibson-era.   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

i would really like a full blown web page showing off everything that happended since Sonar Platinum in features.

Comparison table and all, since to compare with payed products. Not thinking side by side in table with other products, just Platinum and new Sonar.

Unclear is also if new Sonar will be different levels, like Artist, Pro and Platinum were.

That is one way of handling different wallet sizes. rather than having one size fits all.

Just a listing of what happend last 5 years with Sonar to the new Sonar.

It will certainly be impressive.

This as soon as possible since a lot of buzz right now.

Some seem to think of free daws as another type of product to compare with other free products.

I think Sonar compares with any other daw.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

What may hold for one application has no bearing on what holds true for another. We  habitually do performance profiling to ensure our changes don't add unexpected overhead.

Unless Bandlab has come up with some magical way to display vector images at runtime with zero overhead, there's no way you're not causing extra resource usage by using vectors instead of raster graphics, especially considering the monitors we use cannot display pure vectors.

49 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

I promise the app won't present absurdly scaled images or text and leave you with a wonky look. Rather it'll look "just right," on any display.

Looking at this absolute masterful piece of job, I have my doubts:
image.png.e04c25bb63e14b66961212a1ff266951.png

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Meh 1

1 minute ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Unless Bandlab has come up with some magical way to display vector images at runtime with zero overhead, there's no way you're not causing extra resource usage by using vectors instead of raster graphics, especially considering the monitors we use cannot display pure vectors.

Maybe...

Only time will answer these issues. Sadly, we're all stuck speculating... Mesmerized in the headlights of the announcement.

I know I'm still reeling and High in anxiety for it's release! I hope it's soon while I can still manage some cash!

4 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Looking at this absolute masterful piece of job, I have my doubts:
image.png.e04c25bb63e14b66961212a1ff266951.png

That's a bitmap. It doesn't scale properly. Like vectors do. Which is the entire point.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2023 at 10:37 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

The main difference would be the new vector based UI but we don't expect that to require more resources. In fact it could take less since the overall footprint of the app will be smaller.

I'd assume a lot of that would also be offloaded to a GPU as well, reducing CPU load even further.

I see that at the moment there is a lot of focus on the "display pixels" issue, when, in fact, it should be focusing on Usability x Performance x Stability.

It is clear that a new version, which will be charged to the user, should not add the numerous BUGs reported in the free version, as well as the hundreds of suggestions for improvements brought by the community over the years.

That being the case, since we are going to pay, I will do as the market behaves: I will try to better evaluate the existing DAWs, prices, functionalities, performance, etc., evaluating the best cost/benefit ratio.

Since, when the application was free, I'm sure that many users, like me, revealed bugs, non-implementations of improvements suggested by the community, etc.

Upon being paid, it enters the market where the cost/benefit ratio is evaluated.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Appreciate the vote of confidence! 🤣 You'll just have to trust we know how to implement scalable graphics. Feel free to stick around and see for yourself. You should also note that the forum website and our codebase have about as much in common as pineapple and a motorcycle.

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

You should also note that the forum website and our codebase have about as much in common as pineapple and a motorcycle.

I think the real question is, should you put motorbikes on pizza? 🤔

(I actually don't mind pineapple on pizza. Sue me! Bah.)

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Haha 1