1/2-1 sec delay with Rapture

OldNick

I started a new project just to try Rapture. I finally sorted out a few things abut the EGs (different from DimPro ina few ways) and had it working. But then I noticed that 1/2-1 sec delay was occurring between the scroll in PRV and the notes sounding.

I tried resetting the sound drivers from ASIO to WDM, which forced a re-calibration of my sound card, then back to ASIO. No go. I then  saved and closed the project, and opened  DImPro one. No delay. So I reopened the Rapture one and started switching off any FX in the Rapture interface, working from the bottom of the Rapture UI and going up.. In the end I got back to actually switching off the DSP routing and suddenly the delay went away. But now I am gradually re-introducing the DSP routing and other FX, I am not seeing the delay.

I hope it was just a glitch and it won't happen again. But has anyone any idea about what may have happened?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by OldNick

All popular DAW applications feature Automatic Plugin Delay Compensation (Automatic PDC).

If a latent plugin is inserted *anywhere* in a project, all other audio is delayed by that amount (to maintain sample-accurate sync).

There are two ways to work around the issue:

• While tracking, avoid latent plugins
  • CbB (Sonar) has a global Automatic PDC bypass feature (enable this while tracking)

Latency has but two sources (unless the DAW application itself uses additional buffering):

• Audio Interface
  • Latent Plugins

Some DAW applications use extra buffering (which adds additional latency).

Ableton Live uses additional buffering (which can't be disabled).

Cubase has "ASIO Guard" (which can be disabled)

StudioOne has "Dropout Protection" (allows setting the additional buffer size from 128-samples up to 2048-samples - the green Z button bypasses the extra buffer)

• Like 1

I was not using a preset. I was just trying the Env Generators and mucking about with the routing through the DSPs etc, as well as having the "main" filters altered to get results from the Envelopes and LFOs. When the lag started, I gradually worked my way back from the Envelopes to the top right hand corner, setting everything Off. When I turned the routing off, the lag stopped, but then I started turning everything back on again and the lag did not reappear ...yet....

Well hopefully BandLab will re-release Rapture Pro, as Rapture classic was at end of life years ago.

I would expect that Rapture Pro should be supported on the latest Windows versions, and any bugs from the original would have been handled.

I assume BandLab has been focused on the core DAW to date, but hopefully eventually they will move in the direction of supporting the last Cakewalk supported instruments, Rapture Pro and Z3TA+2.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Wtf?

Well that was s short quote! :D

I pm'd kitekrazy and they said that in other DAWs Rupture would not work, or did not appear; only Express. I found a similar problem, in that although I could see certain synths  and load them, I could not get them to do anything. I was wondering if there may be a compatibility or proprietary reason.

However, having just posted a message asking why I can't get many SF2 files to work, I am now wondering if there may be an entirely different problem

8 hours ago, OldNick said:

I pm'd kitekrazy and they said that in other DAWs Rupture would not work, or did not appear; only Express. I found a similar problem, in that although I could see certain synths  and load them, I could not get them to do anything. I was wondering if there may be a compatibility or proprietary reason.

However, having just posted a message asking why I can't get many SF2 files to work, I am now wondering if there may be an entirely different problem

I just loaded Rapture v1.22 (full version) into CbB 2019.05, and it plays Rapture .prog presets just fine. Also tried with a couple other DAWs that I own, and it's all good there too!

No Rapture compatibility issues as far as I can see, scanning or playing, or otherwise. It still just works!

And I am not sure what you meant by getting SF2 files to work? As far as I know, Rapture is not a SF2 player, but it is sfz file compatible, if that is what you meant. But those file types are two completely different things. In SF2 format, the samples are embedded in the file. While sfz is just a txt file that describes samples in another folder container.

Regarding the not getting SF2 files to work, I was just muttering about my other thread on that subject and not talking of Rupture. So I understand your confusion.

Yeah the Synths that did not work in Reaper did not include Rupture, as I had not even tried it. I did quite recently try it, and all was fine.