Change pitch bend after recording

jono grant

Hi,

I've recorded a pitch bend on to a midi track. I'd like to keep the curve I recorded but I want to adjust the interval to go lower. Say it goes 2 semitones lower now and I want it to go 5 semitones?

The midi track is triggering "morphoder" a Waves vocoder plugin. I don't believe it has any pitch bend settings on it. I have configured my keyboard controller to the correct interval but it doesn't record the full interval, only goes down by 2 semitones. (Even though I have it set to go down a fourth.)

Can that be adjusted after-the-fact?

Thanks!

Jono

I believe the midi spec only allows a specific range of control..... how that effects the specific sound is up to how it's  interpreted by the sound module and designed by the developer. Certain samples for example can only be tranposed so much until it sounds completely un-natural. Synths on the other hand might easily be transposed by 5 octaves and sound perfectly fine. It's really up the developer. You might be able to extend a pitch range by other methods such as melodyne or v -vocal.

That being said - you can edit the pitch bend in the piano roll view - controllers view window. Might be worth using the reference manual available at the top of the forum. Lots of you tubes for sonar out and about as well. 

PDF link here :

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

WIth some clever midi editing you *might* be able to get around this by inserting a pitchbend = 0 and new note-on, on exactly the same beat/tick, then continue pitch bending using the new note. Just rinse & repeat until you get where you need to bend to.

It all depends on whether a triggering new note on significantly changes the effect or not.

16 hours ago, jono grant said:

I'd still love to know if you can adjust the interval after recording in Cakewalk.

See Process > Find/Change (formerly 'Interpolate'). Enter the current range of bend values for 'Wheel' in the Search dialog, hit enter, enter the target range in the Replace dialog, hit enter again, and Cakewalk will interpolate all the values to the new range. Note that the PRV controller pane will only show the usual 0-127, but Event List view will show the actual RPN values that run from -8192 to +8191.

Looking at the user guide for Morphoder, it states that "By default the Morphoder will launch with the Internal synthesiser selected as
the Carrier signal".  This internal synthesiser likely has a pitch bend range of 2 semi tones and this cannot be changed.

However, I'm thinking because it says "by default", it implies that you can route another sound to be your carrier.  What I would do is find another synth that allows a pitch bend range greater than two semitones.  Then tell Morphoder to use that synth's sound as the carrier.  You might want to set this synth to a simple sawtooth sound to start with.

See Page 6 of the Morphoder user guide. Look under "CARRIER SELECT".  You might want to set this to "sidechain".  Then you can set up a synth as a simple instrument and route its output to the Morphoder side chain input. 

The Morphoder user guide can be downloaded from here.

https://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugins/morphoder.pdf