WD 2TB External Hard Drive $59.99 Office Depot - Expires 06/10/23

El Diablo

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Snagged the last one in my local store!

I'm going to have to thank cclarry for the post on PNY, cause it had me look for a better brand at a lower cost.  PNY is a budget brand, and I guess it was luck I stumbled on Western Digital which is a well known higher tier brand and it's external!

I'd like to point out for anyone interested that this product is not an SSD. It's a 5400 RPM spinner.

I only noticed after I ran Crystal Disk.

I'll probably keep it because $60 is still not a terrible price on an external drive (which I currently have a need for), but it's not what the thread title says it is.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'd like to point out for anyone interested that this product is not an SSD. It's a 5400 RPM spinner.

I'll probably keep it because $60 is still not a terrible price on an external drive (which I currently have a need for), but it's not what the thread title says it is.

OP gets a major thumbs down.   The warranty should have told you it's not a SSD.   I haven't seen a WD ext. SSD  yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well that pisses me off, cause if you go to specs on the Office Depot website it says "Rotational Speed    0 RPM", which would indicate it's a SSD.

I even checked western digital website and there's no indication of what it is... Other than a hard drive...

I will change the title.  I wonder if I can still take this back after using it once, I could wipe the drive and take it back?  Or should I keep it?  I've seen better deals on spinners, and didn't realize that is one because of false advertising!

18 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Well that pisses me off, cause if you go to specs on the Office Depot website it says "Rotational Speed    0 RPM", which would indicate it's a SSD.

I even checked western digital website and there's no indication of what it is... Other than a hard drive...

I will change the title.  I wonder if I can still take this back after using it once, I could wipe the drive and take it back?  Or should I keep it?  I've seen better deals on spinners, and didn't realize that is one because of false advertising!

Those Office Depot specs are really off and very deceptive. There is no way you are going to a data transfer rate of 5000 MB/s with a spinny drive. What they sort of quoted was the maximum rate of the USB 3.0 interface. Even then it should of been Mb/s not MB/s.

9 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Those Office Depot specs are really off and very deceptive. There is no way you are going to a data transfer rate of 5000 MB/s with a spinny drive. What they sort of quoted was the maximum rate of the USB 3.0 interface. Even then it should of been Mb/s not MB/s.

According to my Acronis backup software, From one of my Samsung SSD (which clearly says SSD on it) to the WD 2 TB drive, I was getting 500 Mbps transfer speed, so I thought it was okay, but after Starship Krupa pointed out what he found did I dig deeper.  Next time I'll fully research a product before posting.  I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Well that pisses me off, cause if you go to specs on the Office Depot website it says "Rotational Speed    0 RPM", which would indicate it's a SSD

I did check out the specs before ordering it, and I, too saw the rotational speed stated to be 0 RPM. That fooled me as well. I just went back and checked and there's nothing to indicate that it's a spinner. The only clue to the technology is the 0 RPM. Of course the "default" still assumes spinner, but nowhere in the specs or in the listing says "HDD." The only clue to its actual technology is that it's listed on the site under "External Hard Drives."

I'm about to move and have to pack away my tower computers and network server, which I keep a lot of stuff on, so having a small bus-powered portable external HD is useful and WD is a reliable brand.