Did we make a exhaustive free plugin list in forum

satya

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

There is also a similar thread about free instruments.

5 hours ago, ralfrobert said:

There should be a curated list of the best stuff around. This could be very helpful for newbies on a budget. BPB has good lists by the way. They are the king of free stuff. :)

I'm biased, of course, but I think I put together a pretty extensive list of high quality free sample libraries that play in free players. I organized it by instrument type -- piano, electric piano, percussion, organ, synth, etc.  My inspiration was seeing so many lists of free sample libraries and plugins where there was no way to discern the good from the bad. The reality is, a very high percentage of freebies are not great quality. Sifting through the bad ones to find the good ones is incredibly time consuming. So the value of my list is that it only contains sample libraries and soft synths that I've spent time with and found to be good quality and others add their recommendations to the list too. My motivation was to help those who are short on funds but love making music. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

@PavlovsCat Your recommendations are the best

Thanks! I didn't put anything on the list I didn't spend time using and I've been a big user of sample libraries for decades and have even consulted to a number of commercial sample and plugin developers over the years. I've been really impressed by how good some free libraries are. But I'd guesstimate that only 10% or less of what I've tried is good enough to make my list (for example,  Pianobook has a ton of libraries, but most aren't at a level that would make my list; I just wanted to have the best of the best). While freebies often aren't super detailed, there are definitely sample libraries in that list that are superior to some paid libraries I've bought.  And if you compare the quality of those freebies to the freebies available a decade ago, things have gotten a lot better. 

To those just starting out, as long as you have a powerful enough computer,  with the free Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW and all the great free synths, samplers, sample libraries and effects plugins (check Starship Krupa's thread mentioned earler, he really knows is stuff and is a super helpful community member), you can sound really good  and use inspiring sounds and effects without spending any money. 

• Like 1