AI is out to get us ... didn't this happen in an episode of Star Trek?

Wibbles

19 hours ago, craigb said:

We have A/C here, but I also have one of these sitting right by my computer and it does help!

81esvex8+tS.jpg

I had one of those (a slightly larger version) in my office.  I also have a thermometer in the room.  Although I felt slightly cooler, the temperature remained exactly the same, but the humidity shot up.

When droplets of water started dripping off the base of the guitars hanging on the wall, it was time to switch it off...

What does definitely work is a big fan when there's an A/C working (rather noisily) in the next room, as it effectively sucks the cooled air from the other room into the one you're in. So that's what I use now.

• Like 2

I clicked on unread posts and had to check the thread title! I'll bite... almost all A/C issues are seal leakage, and if not an R-12 system you can charge them yourself. The 20oz cans with a gauge are preferred and follow the instructions. Check the system specs (most likely R-134) before purchase to make sure it matches. Takes 10 minutes.

That said... IF it loses pressure in a few days, then take it in (a seal is truly bad); but more often than not, this is not the case.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I had one of those (a slightly larger version) in my office.  I also have a thermometer in the room.  Although I felt slightly cooler, the temperature remained exactly the same, but the humidity shot up.

When droplets of water started dripping off the base of the guitars hanging on the wall, it was time to switch it off...

What does definitely work is a big fan when there's an A/C working (rather noisily) in the next room, as it effectively sucks the cooled air from the other room into the one you're in. So that's what I use now.

Yikes!  Mine definitely didn't have that issue!  If anything, my room tends to stay too dry sometimes.

21 hours ago, mettelus said:

I clicked on unread posts and had to check the thread title! I'll bite... almost all A/C issues are seal leakage, and if not an R-12 system you can charge them yourself. The 20oz cans with a gauge are preferred and follow the instructions. Check the system specs (most likely R-134) before purchase to make sure it matches. Takes 10 minutes.

That said... IF it loses pressure in a few days, then take it in (a seal is truly bad); but more often than not, this is not the case.

The thing is, that those "coolers" are not real A/C's... you fill them up with ice & water, which gets pumped around the fan and the fan blows air through it.

Yes, the air it blows is cooler, but it also blows out a lot of water vapour.  On the days I have to use it, I'll get a max 20 mins before the water is luke-warm and its effectiveness is no different from a standard fan.... in fact, I'd say my standard 18" fan is far more effective at that point.  My air-cooler is the same size as my real portable A/C ( 30" x 12" x 12" ). 

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

The thing is, that those "coolers" are not real A/C's... you fill them up with ice & water, which gets pumped around the fan and the fan blows air through it.

Isn't that how all evaporative AC basically works? 

The problem I see is the unit is all in one room.

IIRC, roughly 10 degrees F translates to 1% relative humidity so all one can hope from the one room unit is an adjustment in the temperature vs humidity and this is why it is not a "true A/C"

Before products like this was a wet towel on a fan.

54 minutes ago, scook said:

The problem I see is the unit is all in one room.

IIRC, roughly 10 degrees F translates to 1% relative humidity so all one can hope from the one room unit is an adjustment in the temperature vs humidity and this is why it is not a "true A/C"

Before products like this where was a wet towel on a fan.

I always crack up when I see people with a portable A/C unit in a room, but the exhaust tube isn't being used!  😂

(In other words, it's literally taking the heat from in front of the unit and pumping it right out the back and into the same room!)

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:10 AM, pwalpwal said:

star trek, terminator, 2001: a space odyssey, moon, black mirror... it's coming

Colossus, a book from the '60s written by Dennis Feltham Jones. Made into a movie called Colossus: The Forbin Project.
When I read it circa 1972, I thought no one would ever let it go that far. Then came War Games, The Terminator, et. al.
We're edging closer and closer to the fiction we viewed in our youth.
Thank goodness I'm old.
You youngsters may meet me when you're eating your soylent green.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

No, not really.

Technically, an AC unit is not blowing cool air into a room. It is removing heat and humidity then transferring it outside. Adding humidity to a room is going to make it feel slightly warmer unless the fan is blowing directly on you.

If you live in a very dry climate, those ice blowers may work ok. But in a humid climate, like here in South Louisiana, the last thing you want to do is add humidity.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

No, not really.

Technically, an AC unit is not blowing cool air into a room. It is removing heat and humidity then transferring it outside. Adding humidity to a room is going to make it feel slightly warmer unless the fan is blowing directly on you.

If you live in a very dry climate, those ice blowers may work ok. But in a humid climate, like here in South Louisiana, the last thing you want to do is add humidity.

I enjoy being schooled by those who don't quite get it right either.

Thanks for playing.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I was commenting on the no A/C in Bit's car, more to keep him from getting raped by a mechanic there.

14 hours ago, Base 57 said:

in a humid climate, like here in South Louisiana, the last thing you want to do is add humidity.

Yep. Keep humidity low around here and you feel much better. 

16 hours ago, Base 57 said:

No, not really.

That probably explains why they're useless in the West Coast of Scotland.

My condenser based A/C works like a charm though.