APD Deal: Rewind by Monkey© - 50% Off

cclarry

I think the benefit of this is outside the DAW recording.  For example, Unify is a great environment for playing around with patch ideas -- it has such as simple GUI, loads fast, and is incredibly powerful for fun patch-making.  But on its own, it can't record MIDI, so by the time I re-open Unify with my newly created patch in the DAW, the idea has sailed.  With this application, I can close Unify, grab a cup of coffee, cuddle the dogs, yell at the (adult) kids, and still have the MIDI idea that I was playing with.  I'm thinking of setting this up to run when I start the computer (it is a standalone .exe as well as a vst), so I always have MIDI recording going on.

I demoed it, and it does do what it says on the tin.  But it seems like such a simple concept.  I can't help but wonder if there are cheaper or free-r options out there.   I don't really need the audio recording feature.

• Great Idea 1

I see in the description that for Windows it only supports Intel.  Maybe just a generalization?  I use AMD.  I installed the demo and  it found an update to 2.1   MIDI cap seems to work fine but not audio here.  I use ASIO and I know that doesn't "share", so maybe it can't get around that. I only used the EXE, not the VST. FYI they use soft iLok (7 day trial) and here is the manual page:

https://monkeyc.audio/pages/rewind-manual

On 6/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, Daniel Hulse said:

Bitwig is (unfortunately) the last holdout on not having retrospective recording.

When was retrospective recording added to Cakewalk?  

Or are you speaking from the perspective of someone who dabbles in the heathen OS's (Mac/Linux)?
Edit: joking of course, no disrespect meant to Mac users - I use & support Macs at my day gig.

Edited by TheSteven

7 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I see in the description that for Windows it only supports Intel.  Maybe just a generalization?  I use AMD.  I installed the demo and  it found an update to 2.1   MIDI cap seems to work fine but not audio here.  I use ASIO and I know that doesn't "share", so maybe it can't get around that. I only used the EXE, not the VST. FYI they use soft iLok (7 day trial) and here is the manual page:

https://monkeyc.audio/pages/rewind-manual

Meanwhile I’m wondering if it’s Apple Silicon native …