Jump to content
klbailey3

Sample Rate buffer size changing on the fly

Recommended Posts

Hey Noel,

Not sure if it is possible, but are there any "switches" that can be used when opening CbB that would output the Driver enumeration to some type of log so I could see what drivers are being queried and which one may be causing the erratic behavior of the sample rate? (kind of like a debug mode)

just figured I would ask.

Thanks,

Blindeddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not in the main release builds. You can however see which ASIO devices are installed on the system in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

If you delete an entry under that key, Cakewalk will stop enumerating the driver.

(back up the reg key before you try and delete it so you can restore it later)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Noel,

Well it appears that some NI gear that I use was causing the issue with the sample rate.  They are midi controllers that have built in audio Interfaces and once I deleted the ASIO entries for them, problem resolved...at least it appears so, only time will tell.

 

Thanks for the info, 

 

Blindeddie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, well that resolution was short lived, the issue popped up again so I did some monitoring and it appears this is a problem with the Firestudio and or the drivers.  I was looking at the "Universal Control" app and I adjusted the Buffer size from 128 to 256 and the Sample rate jumped up to 96K then to 48K and finally settled back in at 44.1K.  Opened CbB and the Sample rate had changed back to 96K.

Maybe time to get a new interface...

Peace,

 

Blindeddie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this helps running Firestudio Tube and Project same thing here all of a sudden jumps from 48 to 96 just at Cakewalk Start up. I went to Preferences... Audio.. playback and Recording and unchecked ugin load Balancing and Always open all devices and hit Apply and it went right back to 48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys.

I have been wrestling with this for the last two years. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

I narrowed it down to the Windows Audio Service and the way MS implemented it since then.

I have a Presonus Firestudio Project interface and I initially thought it was about the firewire card. But is not.

If you see in your interface control panel, when you open an ASIO app, you'll see your interface settings change for no reason.

A temporary fix is to quickly go to the windows Sound settings and going to the record tab and back to the playback tab. You'll hopefully see your interface settings going back to where they should.

For that your interface should be listed and enabled in the Sound settings (Play and most importantly, Record)

Furthermore, if you disable the Windows Audio Service and start your ASIO apps, no matter how much you try to abuse the ASIO driver your interface will not be affected by the bug.

Therefore, I conclude MS has made a mistake and there is a nasty bug driving us MAD! the bug is either in the "Windows Audio" service or the "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" service.

I already reported the bug in the windows Feedback Hub. Please chime in there, otherwise this might be never fixed.

The feedback title is:

"Windows audio service unwillingly changing my audio interface settings when using ASIO"

 

Thank you!

 

EDIT: Another workaround is to use ASIO4all. 

It will bypass the windows audio somehow. The only drawback is that you cannot use daisy chained interfaces (case here). It will only detect one interface.

Still, better than nothing. 

Edited by Sacco_Belmonte
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem for the past couple of months with the same interface as yours(Presonus FireStudio Project). I couldn't do much because I was busy with sessions and was afraid of messing everything up, but I did do a lot of the stuff folks posted on here and other sites. After searching the web and this forum I still like you couldn't figure it out and was in the mindset that it had to be the drivers for my interface, but then I recalled that it started right after I installed a new camera and streaming software for my recording studio's website(because of covid I was going to do a lot over the web). So, I went into my Windows10 Settings/System/Sound/Manage Sound Devices and from there I seen that the streaming software I had installed a few months back was enabled on both input and output, So I disabled them and closed out of my settings and opened up Cakewalk and opened up a session and it worked just fine(Didn't have to fight with adjusting the buffet size a hundred times to get it to work right) and of course it started doing the same thing again a few days late, So at this point I'm just going to have to deal with it until there is a fix....

Edited by HuffwareStudio
needed updated on issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...