Tracktion Hyperion $25

Fleer

17 hours ago, JT music said:

It has no dedicated button, added to a slow loading of the presets plus the complicated editing and complicated learning path is what unfortunately plays against this plugins...

My thoughts exactly.  It's definitely not an instant gratification VI.

5 hours ago, Bovinator said:

Agreed with the above thoughts, but I did find there is an option checkbox down the bottom that prevents the browser from closing each time you choose a preset.

Thank you.  I discovered that option after posting.  It makes trying different patches bearable.

• Like 1

I am not sure about the preset count but there are at least a couple hundred.  No randomizer, but there are macro knobs that are handy.  I actually like the modular type patch display.  I find it easier to tweak stuff this way rather than figuring out which of a hundred knobs does what. The dev has continued to issue updates, adding a lot of functionality.  One of them was a preset browser with a lot of filters.  Tracktion allows a 90 day full feature trial.  Dev is also active on Discord, but that app has been griefing me on Windows so I quit using it.

https://www.hyperionsynth.com/

2 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

It seems like the MPE setting needs to be reset for every preset. Anyone know if that is how it is or is it a limitation of the demo?

I'm not using the demo.

Out of the patches I randomly sampled - looks like all included patches are MPE ready but none seemed to have it in any way enabled.
In the browser the MPE patch filter is locked on and does nothing - to me this looks like a bug.

5 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I'm not using the demo.

Out of the patches I randomly sampled - looks like all included patches are MPE ready but none seemed to have it in any way enabled.
In the browser the MPE patch filter is locked on and does nothing - to me this looks like a bug.

Thanks. That was my experience. A rather disappointing oversight. This makes one lose audio when navigating between patches in Ableton if MPE is enabled for Hyperion in the DAW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Thanks. That was my experience. A rather disappointing oversight. This makes one lose audio when navigating between patches in Ableton if MPE is enabled for Hyperion in the DAW. 

I totally agree. I opened a support ticket on this and suggest other do the same. Since MPE was added a couple of versions ago to Hyperion getting this issue fixed obviously hasn't been a high priority.  (Per manual  "V1.27 of Hyperion now includes MPE compatibility per synth layer" - we're on v1.40 now)

4 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

I totally agree. I opened a support ticket on this and suggest other do the same. Since MPE was added a couple of versions ago to Hyperion getting this issue fixed obviously hasn't been a high priority.  (Per manual  "V1.27 of Hyperion now includes MPE compatibility per synth layer" - we're on v1.40 now)

I’ll open one too, despite being a demo user. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:38 AM, Anxiousmofo said:

I’ll open one too, despite being a demo user. 

Did they get back to you on the MPE/Ableton issue?
They got back to me (I just noticed, been a busy week)...

Per Tracktion:
It turns out there is an extra step in Ableton required for external plugins (setting shown below) - then the MPE data gets sent as expected and it receives pressure per note as channel pressure (as well as per channel bends and Y-axis/slide data):
 Hyperion-Ableton-MPE.png

Edited by TheSteven

10 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Did they get back to you on the MPE/Ableton issue?
They got back to me (I just noticed, been a busy week)...

Per Tracktion:
It turns out there is an extra step in Ableton required for external plugins (setting shown below) - then the MPE data gets sent as expected and it receives pressure per note as channel pressure (as well as per channel bends and Y-axis/slide data):
 Hyperion-Ableton-MPE.png

Thanks. No, I haven't been able to submit a ticket due to work demands.

I know that primary step in Ableton as it applies to all MPE instruments, but even if you go into the note input node in Hyperion and enable MPE (which you have to do manually per patch), it still requires you to reset it for each individual  patch  when navigating between them, whether or not the plug-specific MPE permission has been enabled in Ableton. 

I did buy it anyway because it sounds great and I hope it will grow, or perhaps my skills/understanding will. Or both. 

3 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Thanks. No, I haven't been able to submit a ticket due to work demands.

I know that primary step in Ableton as it applies to all MPE instruments, but even if you go into the note input node in Hyperion and enable MPE (which you have to do manually per patch), it still requires you to reset it for each individual  patch  when navigating between them, whether or not the plug-specific MPE permission has been enabled in Ableton. 

I did buy it anyway because it sounds great and I hope it will grow, or perhaps my skills/understanding will. Or both. 

More info (the rest of) from Tracktion support:

Wavesequencer (Tracktion Support)
Jun 5, 2023, 5:39 PM PDT

Hi Steven,
Hyperion is MPE capable, but it was a feature added as a user request late after Hyperion was made public, so the factory patches don't have MPE enabled by default and it would be very difficult to update every patch to have custom MPE assignements.

If you click the MPE filter, you will see there is one MPE demo combi patch - 'Blade2047_MPE'.
~~~~
If you would like to use an MPE controller on existing patches (or your own patch designs), it's required to set the MPE mode to 'on' in each layer you want to respond to MPE bend/pressure.
You can set the bend up/down ranges to match your controller. Other than pitch bend, if the patch is not already mapped to use the pressure and Y-axis output pins, you would need to map those to whatever parameter you would like them to affect - that's the flexibility of the modular system - you can control any target pin on the voice nodes polyphonically, but since it's a modular synth - there is no pre-assignment in patches as every patch is different.
Most MPE controllers will use CC74 for the y-axis parameter, but you can also selected a different CC controller number if necessary, and there are a few custom bend release modes that you could try out (affecting what happens in terms of the pitch bend when the note is released but still decaying the sound).
Hyperion-Ableton-MPE2.png

Follow up email from Tracktion:
Wavesequencer (Tracktion Support)

Jun 5, 2023, 11:56 PM PDT

FYI - I did a quick test with Ableton 11 parameter automation, and to my surprise it sends per note pressure as main channel Poly-aftertouch messages rather than channel pressure on each channel associated with each note (maybe that is configurable somewhere), which is the more usual MPE implementation.

That seems a bit odd to me because Poly aftertouch MIDI messages functionality has been around forever (and was possibly supported by Ableton for a long time already), and I would expect MPE mode to use per-channel/note mono-pressure messages and not Poly aftertouch.

Either way, Hyperion will receive both types of data, but the example patch is making use of the channel pressure messages.

I've previously tested with Bitwig DAW and when doing MPE pressure automation (either with a touch screen or automation curves) it used per-channel channel pressure messages for each note. Hardware controllers appear to also make the distinction between Poly AT and MPE mode for polyphonic pressure output - e.g. the ASM Hydrasynth (which I have) sends (mono) channel pressure messages on a channel per note in MPE mode as far as I remember.

Actually I'm considering to combine the poly aftertouch and channel pressure output pins in a future release of Hyperion, since it's rare that you would want to or expect to have both types of messages being sent to a synth at the same time.

Best regards, 
Paul.

Thanks.

Wavesequencer Support Team
www.tracktion.com

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, husker said:

I need another synth like I need another hole in my head.   But, at $22,  I couldn't resist.  As @Fleer says, it's pretty pretty good. 

I've so far resisted, but only because the above image kind of blows my mind.

I don't know where to start to figure out what's going on.