[SOLVED] Can't Launch Cakewalk 2019.07

Tay Zonday

Has the application actually installed properly?

If you go to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  do you see the program installed there?
You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the app in case its a bootcamp issue. From your video it appears to be launching an installer rather than cakewalk itself.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Has the application actually installed properly?

If you go to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  do you see the program installed there?
You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the app in case its a bootcamp issue. From your video it appears to be launching an installer rather than cakewalk itself.

Thanks! Yep. Cakewalk.exe is right there in  C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  -- and when I click it, the same outcome happens. I already tried uninstalling/re-installing from Bandlab.

EVENTUALLY, after an arduous wait (like twenty minutes), the installer times out with the error "Install server not responding" .  .  .  after which the actual Cakewalk app is allowed to launch normally. But waiting twenty minutes every time I launch the app is not ideal 🙂 

2019_08_08.Cakewalk.Mystery_SML.jpg.de07a43d8b01cb17348ff6fe05db0625.jpg

• Like 1

I highly doubt this is an issue with Cakewalk itself, but it's a deeper Windows issue.

I once had this with Microsoft office a little while a go. Running the program wanted to run the installer.  On my PC, It turned out to be a corrupted installer tree in the registry. 

When this happened to me, I was able to track down the corrupted entries in the registry and delete them.  I think it was somewhere in the installer tree in the registry where windows keeps track of your program installations.  However, I am a former IT technician.  Some of my troubleshooting and repair techniques were pretty complicated, so I would not recommend a non IT technician even attempt it.  If you have a friend who knows exactly what they are doing, they might be able to solve this for you.  

An "end user" fix may be to do a system restore to a time when Sonar or CbB started correctly.

12 hours ago, scook said:

Have not seen this in some time. Did a search on the old forum and found this thread. It is a problem with a Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. I thought they fixed it with an update.

Ok this ended up being the problem. I'm not sure where I got the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver, but there it was on my installed programs list and recently updated. Uninstalling it fixes this problem. Thank you everybody for your help. This remains a strange incompatibility. 

2019_08_08.Cakewalk.Mystery.Solved_SML.jpg.7587c4e72c46e6ff2cb75d9e79013f94.jpg

If you have a Yamaha keyboard (Montage, ModX), it can function as both a MIDI controller and audio interface.

Yamaha owns Steinberg... and users their audio interface/driver technology.

When you load the drivers for your Yamaha keyboard, the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is installed".

FWIW, I've seen a similar issue when a Windows update was (first) released.

In the short-term, had to roll-back to the previous Windows build (everything then worked fine).

Long-term, the issue was resolved.

4 hours ago, Tay Zonday said:

Ok this ended up being the problem. I'm not sure where I got the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver, but there it was on my installed programs list and recently updated. Uninstalling it fixes this problem. Thank you everybody for your help. This remains a strange incompatibility. 

2019_08_08.Cakewalk.Mystery.Solved_SML.jpg.7587c4e72c46e6ff2cb75d9e79013f94.jpg

This would happen in any application that enumerates drivers like Cakewalk. I could probably write a test app that triggers the same result.

Bottom line is that drivers shouldn't try and install software!