Multiple midi outs from same midi track

radofdublin

Question

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to assign the midi out of a single same track to more than one output.

I would like to send midi info to a single midi track and have it sent to multiple outs.

As far as I can tell I’m only able to choose one.

Thanks for  any help.

4 answers to this question

I have a convoluted workaround; 

Insert an instrument track with a VSTi that has the capability of MIDI output (Scaler 2.x for example), drag your MIDI clips onto that track.

Add any number of new midi tracks, input sourced from <Scaler>, outputs to your desired HW or SW instruments and play or record.

Works great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, radofdublin said:

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to assign the midi out of a single same track to more than one output.

I would like to send midi info to a single midi track and have it sent to multiple outs.

As far as I can tell I’m only able to choose one.

Thanks for  any help.

It all depends on what you interpret as a "midi track." 

If you're refering to a channel/track - then NO. 

If you're refering to an instrument/Vsti like the TTS1 (which is a midi instrument,) then YES, you can do this. Watch some videos on Youtube. 

Different DAW = Different languages for "midi tracks." In cakewalk it is an actual virtual "midi channel strip/track."

• Thanks 1

There's always multiple way to do anything in Cakewalk. Here's what I do. 

Insert as many midi tracks as needed. For this you can use the " Insert Multiple tracks"  option = open by  Right click in a blank place in the Tracks Pane.  

Now point each midi tracks output to the VST or Hardware synth you will want. RE name colour etc. 

Highlight the original Midi track using the track number, Now holding CTRL and SHIFT drag the midi track to the new track. CTRL is copy and SHIFT  keeps it on the grid.  Repeat for each track.  

But just to say, Midi tracks on there own don't produce sound so the above method would be more likely used for external hardware. 

It's less screen space to use Instrument tracks ( Simple Instrument tracks) and put the midi data in that track. 

In that case you would insert all the VST instruments you wanted to use and DRAG /COPY the original midi track into these instruments tracks.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1