Finally: a new Cakewalk tutorial at Groove3

Canopus

I just noticed that Groove3 recently has released a two hour long 26 video tutorial called “Bandlab Cakewalk: Getting Started” (sic!). That’s the first new Cakewalk tutorial at Groove3 since “SONAR X3 New Features” was released some 10 years ago. At the same time, it seems like most of the old Cakewalk tutorials now have been removed, except for the aforementioned SONAR X3 video and tutorials for Rapture Pro and Z3ta+ 2.

I think it’s great to see that CbB is finally getting some long overdue attention at commercial tutorial providers as well. I’m actually surprised that Groove3 hasn’t done it before, especially considering some of the rather esoteric videos that has been released there recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm still Seeing "SONAR Explained" (Artist, Professional, Platinum) and "SONAR Platinum Advanced" on Groove3 - both very good tutorials, and they're still 99% relevant.

I watched these when I joined the beta test team (i.e. before I joined the dev team), and I can't recommend them enough.  Up until this point my workflow was not much different from what I was using with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I'm still Seeing "SONAR Explained" (Artist, Professional, Platinum) and "SONAR Platinum Advanced" on Groove3 - both very good tutorials, and they're still 99% relevant.

That’s odd. When I filter on Manufacturer, Cakewalk has been removed from the drop-down list. Instead they’ve added a Bandlab entry, but that will only show this one recent video "Bandlab Cakewalk: Getting Started". If I instead search for Cakewalk in the Search field (like I did yesterday) I get four hits, namely the four videos I mentioned in the OP. However, if I search for Platinum in the Search field, I will indeed get the two videos you mentioned: "SONAR Platinum Advanced" and "SONAR Explained".

So the old SONAR tutorials are obviously still there. Groove3 have in their infinite wisdom just made them harder to find.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Canopus said:

That’s odd. When I filter on Manufacturer, Cakewalk has been removed from the drop-down list. Instead they’ve added a Bandlab entry, but that will only show this one recent video "Bandlab Cakewalk: Getting Started". If I instead search for Cakewalk in the Search field (like I did yesterday) I get four hits, namely the four videos I mentioned in the OP. However, if I search for Platinum in the Search field, I will indeed get the two videos you mentioned: "SONAR Platinum Advanced" and "SONAR Explained".

So the old SONAR tutorials are obviously still there. Groove3 have in their infinite wisdom just made them harder to find.

I searched by DAW and picked SONAR.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2023 at 4:43 AM, msmcleod said:

I watched these when I joined the beta test team (i.e. before I joined the dev team), and I can't recommend them enough.  Up until this point my workflow was not much different from what I was using with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9!

I see it them when I go to Sonar

https://www.groove3.com/browse/by-category/daw/sonar

image.png.39aa81de9b7d4c1fc2261f717085fd41.png

Sonar Explained

image.png.dd9564de8807af50fd5540323a235487.png

Sonar Platinum Advanced

Edited by jesse g

On 5/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, Canopus said:

I just noticed that Groove3 recently has released a two hour long 26 video tutorial called “Bandlab Cakewalk: Getting Started” (sic!). That’s the first new Cakewalk tutorial at Groove3 since “SONAR X3 New Features” was released some 10 years ago. At the same time, it seems like most of the old Cakewalk tutorials now have been removed, except for the aforementioned SONAR X3 video and tutorials for Rapture Pro and Z3ta+ 2.

I think it’s great to see that CbB is finally getting some long overdue attention at commercial tutorial providers as well. I’m actually surprised that Groove3 hasn’t done it before, especially considering some of the rather esoteric videos that has been released there recently.

They are late to the game since there is talk of a new Sonar.

I wouldn't pay for this since it will eventually be vaporware.

Besides Creative Sauce on Youtube is the best how to, 

5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

They are indeed late to the game, but that tutorial was released in May, well ahead of the announcement of Sonar and Next. As was this thread.

Vaporware is when something is presented at an early stage of the development cycle, but never appears as a finished product. That's not the case here.

Hard to say unless you’ve seen the Groove3 tutorial and can make a comparison.

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 1:40 AM, kitekrazy said:

While Creative Sauce's tutorials are good, they don't go anywhere near as deep as the Groove3 tutorials.  He does however cover areas that the Groove 3 tutorials don't (e.g. Arranger, Articulation Maps, multi-output instruments etc), and also offers some very useful tips, so I would definitely recommend watching them.

All of the Groove 3 tutorials (both SONAR and CbB) are still very relevant. Obviously there are a few things that have been updated in CbB that will be different in SONAR (e.g. the Export Audio dialog), but 99% of the content is still relevant.

Streamworks Audio's SWA Complete SONAR X2  and SWA Cakewalk Sonar X3 - New Features videos although older, are free and just as deep as the Groove 3 ones, and are still more than 90% relevant.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

While Creative Sauce's tutorials are good, they don't go anywhere near as deep as the Groove3 tutorials.  He does however cover areas that the Groove 3 tutorials don't (e.g. Arranger, Articulation Maps, multi-output instruments etc), and also offers some very useful tips, so I would definitely recommend watching them.

All of the Groove 3 tutorials (both SONAR and CbB) are still very relevant. Obviously there are a few things that have been updated in CbB that will be different in SONAR (e.g. the Export Audio dialog), but 99% of the content is still relevant.

Streamworks Audio's SWA Complete SONAR X2  and SWA Cakewalk Sonar X3 - New Features videos although older, are free and just as deep as the Groove 3 ones, and are still more than 90% relevant.

100% agree. Nothing against creative sauce, I follow him on youtube, but I was sent to groove3 when I was a noob intern years ago (SONAR PE 6), and have recommended to people new to platform even during the CBB years. They really know their stuff.

Edited by Helios.G

For me it's different since I've seen the Groove3 ones going back to the SonarX.

I like Creative Sauce for touching on things I often ignore.

I do have a sub so I don't know if I will put in the time of a DAW I really don't use plus my new hoarding is tutorials. I have a back log.

If Groove3 had their way they would try open up Cakewalk in Logic since they are extreme Logic fanboys. 

I also have lots of Groove3 cash where I could download it for free.