Lewis Capaldi

Keith Wilby

I absolutely cannot stand this guy's productions. At first I thought that it was because, on every song I've heard of his, he mumbles the verses and then yells the choruses at the top of his lungs. Rinse and repeat with no let-up. But then I realised that other singers have done this too, for example Tina Turner, but their records don't grate onto my ears like Capaldi's do, so what is it?

The only thing I can fathom is that it's something to do with how the recordings are engineered and mastered. They really do give me a headache and I have to switch him off when he comes on the radio. Or it could be that my ears are getting old and can't tolerate some modern production techniques. Who knows?

Just my 2p worth 🙂

A few years ago I switched on the TV and saw some guy performing on Later with Jools Holland show. I had no idea who it was and could barely make out a single word of the lyric. At one point I thought he might be singing in Norwegian or something, but his appearance just screamed Scottish. I'd heard of some guy called Lewis Capaldi that everyone was apparently raving about and was quite surprised at the end of the piece to learn that this guy and that guy were the same guy. That's all I know about him.