Random audio dropout

Steve Ennever

Question

Hi,

Seem to have developed a random audio drop out & can't for the life of me work out where from. 

The audio will just suddenly stop for less than a second. Never in the same place.

It doesn't happen often & it's not CPU, buffer or AD/DA induced as the material doesn't have to be taxing the PC for it to occur.

Nor is it mechanical - speaker cables/amp etc. 

I've been using this particular system for 5 years - 8 core intel - 32 ram - Windows 10 - RME Fireface UC - and it's been fine until recently. 

Has anyone else suffered this. Is there a work around?

Thanks... 

Steve E 

8 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

I'm with the “plug-in is in Demo Mode” theory.....

If it’s not that, then something must have changed. 

What have you tried so far?

I have one plug-in in Demo mode which I believe could have started around the time this irritating random glitch manifested itself - so that is indeed the likely culprit.  

I've never Demo-ed a plug-in with the UAD Spark system before so this could account for not experiencing the problem before. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks. 

Steve E 

11 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

I've had this problem from time to time, and it was caused by a bad contact in the usb port of the PC. The USB audio card disconnected for brief moments, causing  random dropouts... worth double checking your connections.

Yes, this was my first though. So these were the first things I checked. Alas to no avail.