Creative Sauce: WHY EVEN BOTHER MAKING MUSIC???

Old Joad

My only gripe with those "coaching" type videos is the amount of disconnect with the scenario is very visible. It's like when you see someone with millions of subscribers making a video about their mental issues or similar. It feels less like a video for others and more like them wanting their huge fanbase to pat them on the back. This is one of the reasons why I stopped watching Produce Like a Pro. Not that I have anything against Warren personally and the material he produces, but he's clearly not speaking to me when it comes to topics he covers. It almost feels like flexing or someone trying to sell a product rather than genuine knowledge sharing like you get from Dan Worrall even when he's doing videos for FabFilter as a demonstrator.

29 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

My only gripe with those "coaching" type videos is the amount of disconnect with the scenario is very visible. It's like when you see someone with millions of subscribers making a video about their mental issues or similar. It feels less like a video for others and more like them wanting their huge fanbase to pat them on the back. This is one of the reasons why I stopped watching Produce Like a Pro. Not that I have anything against Warren personally and the material he produces, but he's clearly not speaking to me when it comes to topics he covers. It almost feels like flexing or someone trying to sell a product rather than genuine knowledge sharing like you get from Dan Worrall even when he's doing videos for FabFilter as a demonstrator.

I agree. I don't like Produce Like a Pro either.

Mike is a genuine guy - I've engaged with him a lot since beginning to watch his videos. In my opinion he has the most accessible and enjoyable Cakewalk tutorials I've seen ( there are lots of other excellent presenters too of course) and when he puts out videos like this he speaks from the heart. He is also very active in offering help on his Cakewalk related Facebook page. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Mike is a genuine guy - I've engaged with him a lot since beginning to watch his videos. In my opinion he has the most accessible and enjoyable Cakewalk tutorials I've seen ( there are lots of other excellent presenters too of course) and when he puts out videos like this he speaks from the heart. He is also very active in offering help on his Cakewalk related Facebook page. 

I can give him credit for the Cakewalk stuff :)

• Like 1

After seeing that video I took a good hard look at how much energy I put into my music for so little reward .

Now just might be the right time to find out if they will take me back into The Space Program .

p25WeRi.png

Don't laugh I heard Strummy is doing well up there .

69EenJB.png

🤣

Kenny

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Seems some of you have missed the point of the piece. It's about persisting with something despite knowing you'll always be mediocre at it. Let's be real: that describes the vast majority of us here. 

(Don't be offended. I am using the word "mediocre" in its literal sense. It comes from the same root word as "median" and "medium". If there are a billion musicians in the world and you are good enough to blow away 500 million of them, then congratulations, you've successfully achieved  the rank of "mediocre".)

• Like 7

Mike is a nice guy but recently his videos have definitely moved into the clickbaity borderline shill category.

This is pretty typical, once the number of subscribers hits a certain value, there are folks who can quit their day job and concentrate on videos and there is a lot of opportunity.  Check out Benn's take for some background on this:

(I am not saying Mike/Creative Sauce is in this category)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Seems some of you have missed the point of the piece. It's about persisting with something despite knowing you'll always be mediocre at it. Let's be real: that describes the vast majority of us here. 

(Don't be offended. I am using the word "mediocre" in its literal sense. It comes from the same root word as "median" and "medium". If there are a billion musicians in the world and you are good enough to blow away 500 million of them, then congratulations, you've successfully achieved  the rank of "mediocre".)

Great point  bitflipper 👍

A little humor to cut the edge 

Feel the love I have for your musical mediocrities . If you will be my people . I will be your patron saint .

_Aug17_AMADEUS_DickSmith1MHL-banner.jpg?

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, bitflipper said:

The problem here is that, while I see the point of the video, the whole "everyone can be a winner if they try hard enough" is not how things work in practice and the whole video attempts to sell this idea. Considering how saturated creative markets are, the likelihood of someone making it is only slightly higher than it was back when you needed quite the upfront investment to make it happen. Just because you were successful doesn't mean everyone can be. 

Experience and placement can also cause what I call the professor bias, as people which are looking at things from the finish line often fail to see things from the perspective of someone which hasn't arrived yet. And this often causes the disconnect you see from people like Warren sand the types of videos which attempt to teach or share something that 99% of people watching can't apply as they may never face such scenarios.

I saw the video and commented, I thought it was harmless and certainly not clickbait.

I get the points some of you are making - @bitflipper is spot on as usual - all I know is that without Mike's help on Bandlab I'd still be floundering hopelessly in the dark.

Andy

• Like 3