I would take this as good news!

Sal Sorice

6 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Singapore-based BandLab Technologies raises $25M at $415M valuation | TechCrunch:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/23/bandlab-b1/?fbclid=IwAR3grYc2jux-DMuYj-th-WQcZcKmH-RZF041ybUVSQgThaFXF380xG8ctWI

I'm not sure it's good news 

In my experience once venture capital is involved, especially in a returning position, it may be a sign that the investors start questioning the validly of "free" products (i.e. cutting into potential profits).

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Bapu said:

In my experience once venture capital is involved, especially in a returning position, it may be a sign that the investors start questioning the validly of "free" products (i.e. cutting into potential profits).

Ed, I see your point and hope that is not the case. However, even if they opt for a realistic price (and NOT the dreaded subscription model) for future upgrades I'd be OK with that (i.e., you don't have to upgrade unless you want the new features). As we all know, nothing is truly "free". I'd be happy to support the Bakers - they've done really great work on this great DAW. 

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

yeahthat.gif

I feel like something really big is in the works.

I don't mind paying for updates, but I can't do the subscription thing.  For one thing,  I get involved in projects that can last 6 months or longer and I'm not using  certain software for one reason or another.  I might be using notation software for an extended period of time,  so I'd be paying money for software I'm not using.   Or I'm not using notation for a long time.  That is why I dumped Sibelius.   I use a very old version when I need it and Dorico for the rest.  

I also have clients that come back for tweaks on projects after long periods of time (a documentary gets updated, a industrial video changes a word or two) .  Cakewalk has been great for that...everything, every update has had no issues going back (can't say that about ProTools).

I also worry about subscription software shutting down on me for some reason.  And then I'm stuck with loads of files and work that I can't access anymore. 

Ahhh, after reading the article it bodes well for me.  It appears they hope to expand more into educational areas.  That helps me on multiple fronts as I have been composing for schools lately.   And hopefully they would have to look at notation (which would help me creating music for films etc and my academic projects.) 

So far looks like a win-win for me.  (if they just stay out of that subscription thingy).  I'm excited.  I just wish they'd get to it and keep me (us) from guessing.

I would be worried that the current free version wouldn't work anymore if they did go to a paid thing and those that can't afford to pay would be locked out of their work. You would be locked out of all the work you've one since the X series.

I always preferred using Cakewalk but never switched back once the free version came out for fear of this happening, getting reinvested in it, then have it disappear again. That's why I stuck with another DAW.

That said, you could look at as the best demo period of any software ever and just start paying if it comes to that and not miss a step. I just hope that they do not go with subscription service only if the time comes when we have to start paying.

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I would be worried that the current free version wouldn't work anymore if they did go to a paid thing and those that can't afford to pay would be locked out of their work. You would be locked out of all the work you've one since the X series.

I always preferred using Cakewalk but never switched back once the free version came out for fear of this happening, getting reinvested in it, then have it disappear again. That's why I stuck with another DAW.

That said, you could look at as the best demo period of any software ever and just start paying if it comes to that and not miss a step. I just hope that they do not go with subscription service only if the time comes when we have to start paying.

My back up plan has always been X3 if all else failed. I don't really use much of what has been introduced since then, so it's not like I  would lose too much. The return of the sea of grey would be quite annoying, but probably no more so than the UI's of the alternatives.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paulo said:

My back up plan has always been X3 if all else failed. I don't really use much of what has been introduced since then, so it's not like I  would lose too much. The return of the sea of grey would be quite annoying, but probably no more so than the UI's of the alternatives.

Me too, not much difference between SonarX3 and BandLab..

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, Bapu said:

So it would appear I'm the new Nostradamus. 

image.thumb.png.bec1ff3f50c6186ce84368efaa6da510.png

image.thumb.png.c588638aa62aba386ef6f775ed178bdf.png

Can be found here: https://www.cakewalk.com/

Edited by Bapu
  • Sad 1

Finally, something to go on...

So I'm interested!  Let's see where this goes. Worst case scenario is I use CbB to compose the rest of my life and other DAWs to finalize projects.  Best case is I move into Sonar exclusively and conquer the world of music once again.

--I'm game!