Just A Note and Question Re: Adaptive Limiter

Keni

Yeah... I still use this regularly. I love it.

...but it really needs an update (I know it's not likely). As it is both extremely resource hungry (by itself it send my cpu metering from it's normal heavy load barely visible on meters to half way up sporadically across all cores and threads as soon as Adaptive Limiter is enabled.

It is the cause of many crashes (only when opening/closing projects, not during work)

If I was looking for a replacement of this What suggestions might you have?

I'm not looking for some all-in-one mastering tool. Only a mastering compressor/limiter with some degree of intelligence?

Thanks... I'm just getting tired of the baggage it carries.

You can try Unlimited. Its a free plugin and relatively easy to use (no attack nor release).  It's probably the best among free limiter plugins and I think it's as good as commercial products or even better. 

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2843/

Other than that, some people say they like barricade by tonebooster which used to be a commercial product. Their v3 plugins are free so you could try it as well. 

Personally I do not own Adaptive limiter so I wish I could have it. 

6 hours ago, Quick Math said:

You can try Unlimited. Its a free plugin and relatively easy to use (no attack nor release).  It's probably the best among free limiter plugins and I think it's as good as commercial products or even better. 

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2843/

Other than that, some people say they like barricade by tonebooster which used to be a commercial product. Their v3 plugins are free so you could try it as well. 

Personally I do not own Adaptive limiter so I wish I could have it. 

Thanks...

Checking it out too...

1 hour ago, Xoo said:

I don't see this with Adaptive Limiter and I use it on pretty much every project.  It's never crashed on me and CPU usage doesn't jump when it's enabled.

Interesting...

I'm glad it's working so cleanly for you. I do really like this piece of tech.

It's behaved this way on three of my machines as well as a couple of others I used back in time... It often causes glitches when enabled/disabled as well, but after I've finished my tinkering and export my file, all is well. So I continue to use it in all of my mastering.

...but I am getting tired of the little bugs so I thought to explore what else is out there. Right now I'm still using it but toying with the maximizer in Ozone as an alternative?

...and checkout out these cool suggestions others have found.

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Actually just had this happen yesterday after loading it 2x in a simple project.

Sorry to hear, but not surprised... I've really had very little trouble with it but it can be glitchy enabling/disabling at times. Not always. Why? I'm still not sure...

Same with trouble closing. I've never been able to 100% reproduce. It's sporadic and may be involving interrelationships with other plugins in the given project?

I continue to use it because I like it and have lived with these issues for so long they feel "normal" to me, but every once in a while I think...

"wouldn't it be nice..."

Yes, Adaptive Limiter was an excellent plugin and it would be great if Bandlab would bring it back, along with the CA2A compressor. Dimension Pro, too, as long as we're wishing. You never know. Lots of cool things are in the works

In the meantime, there are gobs of good limiters to pick from. If you don't mind throwing some bucks at it, FabFilter's Pro-L2 comes closest to the AL experience. By that, I mean a) great results with minimal effort, b) a friendly graphical interface, and c) efficient enough that multiple instances won't over-burden your CPU.

17 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Yes, Adaptive Limiter was an excellent plugin and it would be great if Bandlab would bring it back, along with the CA2A compressor. Dimension Pro, too, as long as we're wishing. You never know. Lots of cool things are in the works

In the meantime, there are gobs of good limiters to pick from. If you don't mind throwing some bucks at it, FabFilter's Pro-L2 comes closest to the AL experience. By that, I mean a) great results with minimal effort, b) a friendly graphical interface, and c) efficient enough that multiple instances won't over-burden your CPU.

Thanks BF...

So far it's the leader of the pack from what I'm seeing. But I've gotta justify the cost as Adaptive is working fine here.

I also have Ozone whose maximizer portion is in the right direction though I must admit I'm a bit confused about some syntax and controls...

Well, honestly the most prudent course of action is to stick with what's working for you already.

If you're just looking to relieve some GAS pains, maybe acquire some cool effect to play with instead. If you don't have any ValhallaDSP stuff yet, go there, close your eyes and randomly pick one. They're all great, and they're all 50 bucks apiece. The freebies are very good, too.

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Well, honestly the most prudent course of action is to stick with what's working for you already.

If you're just looking to relieve some GAS pains, maybe acquire some cool effect to play with instead. If you don't have any ValhallaDSP stuff yet, go there, close your eyes and randomly pick one. They're all great, and they're all 50 bucks apiece. The freebies are very good, too.

Very True...

Not really GAS either though. I really don't want to buy anything right now in this range of dreaming... I was just feeling tired of the little issues that plague me as I carry old things along...

I still use 2 32 bit plugins regularly because they still sound great and I can't afford the purchase solution. I make poor seem like a good goal these days... More little issues

Oh well. Thanks for your insights and suggestions. I'm guessing that I'll stick with what I have for the time being.

In addition to Unlimited, which I really like, another free solution is Limiter-Z by LVC Audio.

D16 also make a freebie adaptive limiter called Frontier.

I count at least 4 possible no-cost solutions, at least one of which I can personally vouch for. No need to either suffer with one that's not working properly or spend any money.

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

In addition to Unlimited, which I really like, another free solution is Limiter-Z by LVC Audio.

D16 also make a freebie adaptive limiter called Frontier.

I count at least 4 possible no-cost solutions, at least one of which I can personally vouch for. No need to either suffer with one that's not working properly or spend any money.

Thanks Starship.

I'll check these out too.

I probably don’t really suffer much with AL, and was only feeling irked at the moment of OP. But always interested in alternatives..

I’ve never had any real issues with the adaptive limiter it’s just I feel I’m not in control of what is happening. It looks like it should work but my end results suck. 

Right now I’m using a combination of the new LP multi band and Loud max with very precise results.  
I tested a lot of Free brick wall limiters and loud max won  out hands down. No colour and one of the only ones that if you set it at -1.0 that’s actually what you get. And believe it or not The Boost 11 is actually a good limiter if you don’t push it hard. 
The adaptive limiter seems more of an AI plug in which of course I fight. The LP multi band is simply brilliant and easy to figure out. 

Edited by John Vere

2 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

CbB also comes with a Limiter called Boost11. Whilst not adaptive, it's there.

I presume the Adaptive Limiter was as resource intensive as the Linear Phase EQ and Multiband.

Or more so...? I have boost11 as well as concrete, but they are nothing like Adaptive...