Logic Pro for iPad Available at 1 pm EST (not a deal)

Reid Rosefelt

First month is free.  After that it's $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.    Works  on any iPad with the A12 Bionic chip or later and iPad OS 16.4 or later.

If this is as good as people say it is,  this could be a historic day for computer music.   

It could take iOS music to a new level, because no standard iOS DAW has yet been up to the quality of the synths and effects.  (There are some extraordinary apps like Drambo that are DAWish)  

For us, it could create a great tool for sketching and even composing.  

I think it will lead more developers to create for the platform.  

For me, just the idea of it coming has brought me back to making music on my iPad.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

The only ones I can think of are Cubasis, Garage Band and BandLab.

They're not up to snuff?

Having messed with it for a day, the audio and MIDI effects that come bundled with  Logic are much better than any other iPad standard DAW.  And that's just the beginning--there are many other unique features, like the Drummer.   It's definitely in a class by its own.   (I say standard DAW, because there are many excellent ways to make music on the iPad that aren't standard DAWs, like Drambo, Loopy Pro, AUM, etc. ) 

If I was making music COMPLETELY  on an iPad DAW, there's no contest.   There are some definite weaknesses (no interapp audio), but it's the best--although the competition isn't stellar.    In terms of the synths, it has all the ones in desktop Logic, but Alchemy and the Sampler aren't editable.  Good stuff, but the synths I would use would be mostly AUv3 ones anyway.

But I want to use the iPad as a starting point for desktop music. 

My desktop DAW is Cubase,  not Logic.  Using this, I can only export audio stems into my PC.   On the other hand, f I export a Cubasis track I get all the audio and MIDI stems.  Why would I want to be limited to any piano, string sound, etc that can be made on the iPad?  I'm going to want to use my desktop VIs.  So I need the MIDI that Cubasis provides. 

I love Logic for iPad, I really do, but I probably would use it just for messing around.  Maybe make some beats on it and use them as is.  

Because of my renewed interest in iPad music caused by Apple, I'm going to upgrade to Cubasis 3.  😃  It's not as good as Logic, but Cubasis 2 is fine for sketching.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Apple are holding the Smart Instrument MIDI hostage in the Apple ecosystem.  I suppose I could use StudioOne / Melodyne to generate MIDI from audio stems.

I've got Cubasis 3 on my Android phone, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to use on an iPad.  With the release of Logic iPad, maybe it will light a fire under Steinberg to get more resources to enhance Cubasis.

I was watching some demos of Logic Pro iPad, and though it has tons of features, it lacks the cohesiveness, simplicity and charm of GarageBand.  For being a free app, GB is quite amazing for sketching out ideas. 

I’ve been using this for the past couple of days. It’s absolutely brilliant. Complete game changer and if you’ve used Cubasis 3 on the iPad, this is in a different league, there is simply no comparison. The quality of the inbuilt instruments and FX are top notch and I’ve spent thousands on VSTs and sound libraries over the years! The organisation and workflow is all logical to me. Things like Scaler 2 and GeoShred work perfectly. I miss EZ Drummer 3, and EZ Keys 2, but who knows, perhaps this will spur Toontrack and others to port to iOS. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I’ve been using this for the past couple of days. It’s absolutely brilliant. Complete game changer and if you’ve used Cubasis 3 on the iPad, this is in a different league, there is simply no comparison. The quality of the inbuilt instruments and FX are top notch and I’ve spent thousands on VSTs and sound libraries over the years! The organisation and workflow is all logical to me. Things like Scaler 2 and GeoShred work perfectly. I miss EZ Drummer 3, and EZ Keys 2, but who knows, perhaps this will spur Toontrack and others to port to iOS. 

I'd love to see how Toontrack will massage their 300+ GB drum library into a mobile app. Most mobile devices don't even have that much internal space.

13 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I'd love to see how Toontrack will massage their 300+ GB drum library into a mobile app. Most mobile devices don't even have that much internal space.

True. The entire download for Logic Pro with absolutely everything included was 16GB I think.

Funnily enough, since my last post I’ve been playing with the inbuilt Drummer app. It always sounded good in GarageBand but it’s on another level in LP because you can convert Drummer regions to MIDI if you wish, and therefore edit every single beat if needed.

The real test for me will be recording, mixing and mastering an entire song in LP.  Whilst I’ve done this in Cubasis, despite my best efforts, the quality was simply not good enough to be ‘release ready’. One of the real issues was drums, although that certainly wasn’t the only problem. I’m hopeful I can produce a track that’s every bit as good as I can manage in Studio One + all my VST plugins, but we will see.