BFD3 Flash Sale (Exclusive)

cclarry

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

the samples with BFD3 wav files [are] a proprietary format?

.bfdlac   (proprietary lossless compression)

1 hour ago, David A Ludwig said:

How do they sound, compared to SD3, SSD5, AD2, etc? 

imho, still the best for well engineered acoustic drum samples with velocity levels to emulate realistic performances, great cymbals, versatile, wide range of kits including support for 3rd party expansions, but not sure that's still viable given the current ownership.

SD3 has some kits featuring "raw" samples which might be equivalent. have yet to dig in (no demo mode, promo clips did not help). had tried SD2 in the past, found them "over processed" at the time. EZ Drummer has some interesting kits, but assume they're a subset of SD with the same sonic attributes, but have not given them a shot.

kinda the same for AD2, pretty meh overall, but good/easy/lite enough for rough demos.

SSD5, others were pretty focused on specific genres with production baked in, so not very flexible or usable here.

NB BFD3 has a proprietary authorization scheme that requires online access every 90 days (or so). It has not been pretty, but seems better and somewhat stable atm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agree with those who love the drum sounds in BFD3. Unfortunately, the elephant in the room is the “somewhat stable” reference to the program. It has not been  stable enough for me in the past, although I have not tried the most recent update.

3 hours ago, David A Ludwig said:

How do they sound, compared to SD3, SSD5, AD2, etc? 

I don't own SD3, but it's pretty much like this:

SD3 = king
BFD3 = close second
AD2 = decent enough for demos or when realism isn't asked for
SSD5 = a toy

• Like 2

Toontrack certainly has the most mindshare when it comes to drum VSTi's nowadays. BFD used to be in the same position SD was in the past until FXpansion decided to stop caring and Toontrack caught up.

8 hours ago, jngnz said:

SSD5 = a toy

I hope you're not saying that because in SSD5 you have to mix the drums yourself as it doesn't come with effects and such ready in a mixed setup. Cause the other three allow you to do that but they have a vested interest in your using their presets instead.

10 hours ago, jngnz said:

I don't own SD3, but it's pretty much like this:

SD3 = king
BFD3 = close second
AD2 = decent enough for demos or when realism isn't asked for
SSD5 = a toy

Imo  AD 2 is pretty much underrated. Using the samples without fx/ presets turns AD 2 nearly at the same Level as  SD3 and BFD 3, except for the cymbals.

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1