MacArthur Park (Cover featuring GuitarTrek)

markno999

Cover of Jimmy Webb's 1967 MacArthur Park featuring forum member GuitarTrek (Geno) on Lead Vocals and Lead Guitar.    Rhythm guitar, bass and programming by markno.   Steel Guitar is a BIAB sample.  

This version is based on Glen Campbell rendition from an appearance on  Prime Time Country.   The track was originally recorded in 2017, however,  never was happy with the mix and it sat for many years before I picked it up again and replaced the string samples with EW Hollywood strings and updated the mix.    Geno's vocals and guitar solo are quite outstanding.    Comments welcome.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14601321

Regards

• Like 3

This is fabulous!  The two of you know how to do a cover song, and you chose well.  This song is not easy to play or sing, but you did more than just pull it off, you excelled.  The mix is terrific, and the master is better.  Congrats, Mark!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

This is fabulous!  The two of you know how to do a cover song, and you chose well.  This song is not easy to play or sing, but you did more than just pull it off, you excelled.  The mix is terrific, and the master is better.  Congrats, Mark!

Thanks Lynn and appreciate your ears on the rough mixes.    I did send this out to a mastering engineer, couldn't quite get it there on my own.    

We had good inspiration for the track from the great Glen Campbell so that was half the battle, that and a good chord chart:)  Thanks for the listen.

Regards

17 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Really well done. The fast section around 4:30 delivers. Nice lead guitar work🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry, yes Geno killed the guitar solo, never get tired of hearing it.   Fortunately for the fast part, and particularly the fills, Superior Drummer 3 Tap to find is quite useful.     I usually start with the drums using a guitar or piano guide track to get the drums and bass right because I feel if the good rhythm section foundation is there it will influence the rest of the parts in a positive manner.  Thanks for the listen and comment.

Regards

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:27 PM, Ross Smithe said:

Outstanding cover! This tune really takes me back, and you absolutely did it justice. Great work!!

Ross - Thanks very much for the listen.   So many people covered it over the years but seems so long ago.   Great fun to work on this classic.

On 5/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, KSband said:

That's a tough one to cover, nice job. The vocals are very good.

Thanks very much for the listen.   I agree Geno did a great job on the vocals.

Regards

On 5/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, Rikkie said:

Hi Mark, excellent cover, well done, I remember Geno from the old forum, he's very talented. Good job allround.

Rik

Rik

Thanks very much for the listen, appreciate it.   I miss the good ole days on the old forum, and a lot never made it over here to the new one.

On 5/23/2023 at 5:20 PM, jack c. said:

man these latest songs are superb all around.jack c

Jack

Thanks very, appreciate it.

Regards

On 5/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, Rikkie said:

Hi Mark, excellent cover, well done, I remember Geno from the old forum, he's very talented. Good job allround.

Rik

Thanks Rik!  

I originally tried to get on to this new forum but for some reason it wouldn't let me sign in.    When Mark posted this song, I tried to sign in again and it worked!  

On 5/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, Wookiee said:

Nice mix, vocal clear and present, other voices sound balanced and well placed, worthy of an :) 

Sweet guitar.

Thanks Wookiee- appreciate the listen and comment.

On 5/25/2023 at 5:31 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Mark

wow excellent cover - and the vocals are superb. The Guitar solo is fabulous

A difficult song to cover but you guys nailed it

Cool

Nigel

Nigel - Appreciate it,   the song was a lot of fun to do.   Treated it basically like 3 separate song and a reprise when putting it together so that made is easier.

On 5/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, Supa Reels said:

Hi Markno

Very clean mix and great vocal ... just interested and wondering what ...  'contains samples or splices'  on the blurb, actually means ?

Always liked this song and Glens voice ..  great rendition.

Steve ( SRM )

Thanks Steve, appreciate the listen and comment.    The "contains samples or splices" is a new checkbox on SoundClick.    I ticked it because the song contains sample libraries.   All the strings and woodwinds are EW Opus libraries as are BGV's at the end which are EW Hollywood Singers.   Drums are all Superior Drummer 3.    The only live parts played by us are bass, rhythm guitars (except Steel Guitar), piano (Alicia's Keys), guitar solo and Lead Vocals.

Regards

On 5/22/2023 at 5:44 PM, markno999 said:

Geno's vocals and guitar solo are quite outstanding. 

Can't help but agree there - the rest of it ain't too shabby either - guitar solo was 🤩

Just fabulous work all round, gets  from me.

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, Makke said:

Excellent version. Great vocs and sounds. 👍

Thanks very much for the listen Make,  much appreciated.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:01 PM, AndyB01 said:

Can't help but agree there - the rest of it ain't too shabby either - guitar solo was 🤩

Just fabulous work all round, gets  from me.

Andy

Andy- Thanks for the listen and comment.      This mix took a different approach by mixing Vocals, piano, bass and drums first.   Normally I was doing vocals last but tried a different approach so the strings, guitars (other than guitar solo) took more of a backseat to these main items.   Since it is a fairly busy song it was important to keep supporting elements in the background.     I have a bad habit of pushing some supporting elements I think are cool out front, however, it can be distracting for the listener if things don't stay balanced.    Always learning:)

Regards