Guitar pickup recommendation - odd requirement

Xoo

I've got a PRS Santana dual humbucker guitar, which I'm very happy with.  However, I'd like to change the neck pickup for a single coil style pickup, so that it will work better with my ebow.  Ideally, I want it to remain humbucking (for noise purposes but also for sound - I dislike the genuine single coil sound), so it's for pickup *width* that I want the change: ebows work better when the pickups aren't horizontally spaced like on a traditional humbucker.

But finding something that will fit into the space and meet my needs is, well, difficult to put it mildly.  With apologies for the gig shot, but attached image is what the guitar looks like so you can see the pickup mountings.

Any ideas?

g197.jpg

Forgot to add: wiring isn't a problem, but anything involving routing of wood or the like is a no-no for me 🙂

Edited by Xoo

Duncan and Lollar both make humbucking sized single coils. There are inserts for putting a Fender style single coil into a humbucker ring. I have a set of Fralin noiseless pickups that I’m pretty happy with. It’s a “blade” style pickup. 
HTH,

t

I admit I am confused about the width comment for the Ebow, as I have used one for 30 years and always on humbuckers.

I do not see split coil referenced in that guitar's specs. An alternative, is to add a split coil feature to the installed humbucker(s) (but not sure if all 4 coil wires are exposed). I have 7 switches on my main guitar, and 4 of them are "hidden" in Seymour Duncan Triple Shot Mounting Rings (configured to if switches apart it is parallel HB, together is series HB (standard), and if in the same direction for the single coil they are pointed to). This setup also allows "humbucker options" by selecting a single coil in each pickup (if both are done), removing the hum but changing the tonal quality depending on spacing from the bridge. Visually, they are simply mounting rings, and all wiring is in the ring itself, so no guitar mods (even to wiring) is necessary. The rings output go to where the humbuckers were.

I've always got better results (and the ebow instructions said the same) from a single coil.  I can't coil tap (and don't want to as I lose the noise cancelling and don't particularly like single coil sounds, hence wanting a single coil sized humbucker).

I really like the look of the Triple Shot Mounting Ring *but* it still doesn't nicely let me fit a single coil sized humbucker - that's the issue I'm having here, that no-one seems to know how to solve (I've been searching online for ages and there just doesn't seem to be a mounting that does what I want).

I'd found those (or ones like them) but it's unclear how tall/deep they are, so no idea if they'd be a suitable replacement.

eg. the one I found (Amazon UK) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alnicov-Humbucker-Adapter-Mounting-Telecaster/dp/B09GJVJ3FN/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1QW7R744ESC0G&keywords=Humbucker+to+Tele&qid=1684834425&sprefix=humbucker+to+tele%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5 - has a 2.6mm height which is about half what I have now.

• 2 months later...

Roswell UK make one that might be interesting for you.  

It's a humbucker, with only 1 of the 2 coils magnetized....so it sounds like a single coil but it's humbucking.

They are not really 'superhot/loud'...more of vintage type medium output level.

Nickel silver backplate for an 'open' sound.

Roswell LLS-N4

Edited by Sheens

2 hours ago, Sheens said:

Roswell UK make one that might be interesting for you.  

It's a humbucker, with only 1 of the 2 coils magnetized....so it sounds like a single coil but it's humbucking.

They are not really 'superhot/loud'...more of vintage type medium output level.

Nickel silver backplate for an 'open' sound.

Roswell LLS-N4

That sounds quite a good fit (pun intended).  That said, I've put my quest on hold for a bit (other priorities) but I'll file this for later.

• Like 1