32C-VIP by Harrison for 9

satya

I'm fairly confident everything this plugin does can be replicated with one instance of Sonitus EQ and one instance of Sonitus Compressor as they're describing roughly 98% of what the plugin does in the description. Only thing left for you to find is the amount of slope and resonance of the high pass filter, the amount of boost of the high shelf, the slope of the low pass filter and the compression ratio.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I'm fairly confident everything this plugin does can be replicated with one instance of Sonitus EQ and one instance of Sonitus Compressor as they're describing roughly 98% of what the plugin does in the description. Only thing left for you to find is the amount of slope and resonance of the high pass filter, the amount of boost of the high shelf, the slope of the low pass filter and the compression ratio.

Dead serious,  this is the second recent post you made that resulted in me researching (AKA googling) what you wrote to find out more and I found a Sound on Sound article praising those ancient Sonitus plugins in Cakewalk I've never used -- and probably many others haven't tried either. Then I came across another article,  this one by Craig Anderton comparing the Sonitus EQ to Cakewalk QuadCurve -- something I never even heard of before.  Anyhow, all of that is the result of your post, so thanks, @Bruno de Souza Lino

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Only thing left for you to find is the amount of slope and resonance of the high pass filter, the amount of boost of the high shelf, the slope of the low pass filter and the compression ratio.

That we can find in manual

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

... Then I came across another article,  this one by Craig Anderton comparing the Sonitus EQ to Cakewalk QuadCurve -- a plugin I never even heard of before.  Anyhow, all of that is the result of your post, so thanks, @Bruno de Souza Lino.

I've used QuadCurve EQ to tame resonances in a rough recording and it did a splendid job.

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Then I came across another article,  this one by Craig Anderton comparing the Sonitus EQ to Cakewalk QuadCurve -- a plugin I never even heard of before.

Isn't QuadCurve the EQ that's built into the Pro-Channel?

• Great Idea 1

27 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yep. I only learned that last night.  Clearly, I need to learn more about Cakewalk's Pro Channel.  Do you think it's any good? 

We easily discount the quality of plugins in a DAW.   I always like to watch the Creative Sauce channel since he visits a lot of plugins in Bandlab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yep. I only learned that last night.  Clearly, I need to learn more about Cakewalk's Pro Channel.  Do you think it's any good? 

I'm probably not the best person to ask about that now, as I migrated to Studio One (to integrate with my Faderport) when Sonar went shaky. However, based on what I remember, I'd say go with it unless you find a reason to not. I thought it sounded pretty good, and there were four different modes that you can use to configure the EQ curves (based on EQ curves of different consoles).

Reasons that you might not want to use it include:

• You want an EQ that imparts a special 'colour'.
  • You're using a channel strip (e.g. one of the PA ones/Neutron/other) that already has an EQ and you'd rather use that as your mixing (mini) ecosystem (along with its matching compressor, etc).
  • You have another EQ that fits your workflow better.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Hi. I am in a bit of the same situation as antler, but the Pro-Channel plugins are actually very good.

I still think the CA2A is one of the best LA2A plugins I've tried and got. And I've got quite a few. UAD's LA2A's comes above the CA2A though, IMO.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Zargg said:

Hi. I am in a bit of the same situation as antler, but the Pro-Channel plugins are actually very good.

I still think the CA2A is one of the best LA2A plugins I've tried and got. And I've got quite a few. UAD's LA2A's comes above the CA2A though, IMO.

All the best.

I use ca2a more than any other la2a clone