Knowing what you know now about Creating Music using a DAW and a computer

Hmmm, since computers (and especially DAWs) didn't really exist when most of us started, maybe "Blow off all of this expensive hardware and focus on performance... personal computers will be a thing soon (seriously), and you can get all of this gear for a fraction of the price."

db0c8ef561f24c90a18b10da60d4c645--hercul

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

Numero uno is that I would have warned myself about the audible effect of jitter and staying away from interfaces from before the JetPLL era. And I would have only purchased a single 8-input interface rather than springing for a pair of them that I could chain together. I think there was one single occasion where I used 10 of my 16 inputs, and very few where I used more than 4 (I track drums using a 4-mic setup).

I'd probably warn myself away from mixing plug-ins that combine multiple functions (compression, expansion, EQ, saturation whatever) under the hood with only 2 or 3 controls (Trackspacer is the NOTABLE exception). The tracks in my earliest mixes have too many of those pulling each one in different directions.

Really, though, I don't look back and see big missteps or long detours, only a learning process that continues to this day. It takes time to learn mix engineering, and part of that time is discovering things that don't work. I sought out good advice, both from friends and from what was around on the web. Still do.

I will say, though, that there is some cliche "wisdom" that I was subjected to that I would never throw at a n00b. And more than one "rule" that I consistently break.

• Like 1