Tom's Diner

mark skinner

Hello , here is a cover of a cover. Annen Mae Kenterheit with Giant Rooks covering a song by Susanne Vega. Both German bands that I listen to quite a bit . This was done just for fun to see if I could do both lead singers and see if I can get this song out of my head !  Anything helpful with this mix that I'll never do anything with .. will be appreciated.  Thank You ..     mark   -Link reflects Remix-

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14598490

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 5

@KSband Yes , musically there's not a lot to it. The two bands that covered it pretty much stripped the song and kept a hook line they played off of. I'll take a close look at the bass. Thanks. @Wookiee Thanks for weighing in. When you get time , google the song and you'll quickly find Giant Rooks with AMK doing it. It has pretty much gone viral. The Rooks lead singer is Fantastic and rarely sings the way he did on this one. Hennen Mae of AMK always sings real deep and growly and very rarely sings in English. I'm a fan of both bands so this one stuck with me. @subvibe Thanks , I appreciate  the comment , especially from a producer like you. @jack c. I'm glad you liked this. I am doing all the vocals myself. It was a little bit of a challenge singing differently for each part . I did them in the order that they're in instead of singing all the parts from each singer all at once. I appreciate the comments and I'm still playing around with the mix ..    mark

• Thanks 1

Mark, this is fabulous!  I've heard this song for years, but never so soulful.  You have shown that your singing is as masterful as your guitar playing.  As for the mix, you have better ears than I do, so I trust that you'll end up where you need to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

@Wookiee Thanks for weighing in. When you get time , google the song and you'll quickly find Giant Rooks with AMK doing it. It has pretty much gone viral. The Rooks lead singer is Fantastic and rarely sings the way he did on this one. Hennen Mae of AMK always sings real deep and growly and very rarely sings in English. I'm a fan of both bands so this one stuck with me.

Just had a listen on YouTube, sounds like a good cover. I watched the version that starts with them walking into a room.

• Like 1

Mark. This is really really good.  Your voice is killing it, man.  Lots of character and grit.  I expected some of that lush guitar work you put out, but noticeably not what's pulling me in this time around. This one really puts your outstanding vocal talents to the front.  Sounds like a fusion of jazz and soul? Whatever, the arrangement is well done.  As always, the sound quality of your work is clean and robust. I didn't read any of the comments, but if there are any issues I can't pick them out.  A very enjoyable track, Mark. 

• Like 1

@Bajan Blue Thank You. I appreciate your comments and Always enjoy your mixes and videos. @FreeEarCandy Yeah , the guitar stuff was Very minimal and I didn't want to take it to a different direction. If I couldn't have gotten the vocals at least "close" I would have scrapped the entire project. Thanks .. @DeeringAmps  I Always appreciate your comments and never feel I'm done without your approval.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, KSband said:

I thought the bass was a little hot and muddy.  I like Susanne Vega too.

You forced me to check out the mud in the low end that I didn't hear and really didn't know how to fix. One thing led to another and now , I think the mix is Way better. Thanks' for that. Top link now reflects the changes.   I'm satisfied .  mark

• Like 3