compressor

Before.

EdIt I was thinking EQ not the compressor. So I think EQ first than compress. Sorry.  

Think this EQ is there to control tonal balance. That should be first. The compressor is there to control dynamics . That should be on the output and last. 

However, it really depends on what you want out of those two plugins. They can interact in interesting ways. Or you can use a dynamic EQ. Really we are at a point where you can do just about anything. It is all about the sound. 

• Like 1

I agree with both reply's above.

I almost always  put the compressor first in the chain (Compressor>EQ). Because if you use it after, your compressing frequency's you might not want to compress. There are times though, boosting certain frequency's can add a great effect.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

One use of EQ before compression is to use a high-pass filter (to roll out unwanted low frequencies).

Doing this prior to compression can ensure the compressor doesn't respond to those (unwanted) low-end frequencies.

One of the most common uses of EQ. Good point Jim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

One use of EQ before compression is to use a high-pass filter (to roll out unwanted low frequencies).

Doing this prior to compression can ensure the compressor doesn't respond to those (unwanted) low-end frequencies.

This also prevents your guitar Or Vocal compressor from triggering with the bass or kick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

However, it really depends on what you want out of those two plugins.

This is probably the most important thing said. As you can tell by all the different responses you got.

Use your ears!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I mean, there's no right answer to this kind of question. Both have their advantages or disadvantages, plus it'll be relative to which compressors or EQs you're using. As mentioned, shaping the bass before you hit the compressor is going to have a big impact on how the compressor reacts to the input, but maybe you want to tailor how the EQ sounds after the compressor too. Depends on the material and what you're going for. 

Most important thing is to train your ears. If you understand how your tools work, then you'll be better able to apply them as you see fit. Experiment, listen, learn how things play together, then adjust as needed!

• Like 3

The answer can be both, honestly. Also, it is common to apply eq only to the side chain input for the compressor. You can use this to avoid triggering on bass sounds without removing bass or to turn your compressor into a de-esser.

• Like 3

FX do not care what they take in nor what they pass on, so always be mindful of the signal you are sending from one FX to the next. A compressed signal is harder to EQ if it has unwanted content (like roll-off's mentioned above), and there is nothing limiting you from multiple steps (where more transparent changes can be made). Mild compression in -> EQ the proper content (for the instrument) -> compressing again to fit the mix is not uncommon.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, martsave martin s said:

before EQ or after EQ??

what do you think?

In my experience the answer to this question highly depends on the specific situation and application of the EQ and compressor. BUT... 99% of the time starting with EQ is the better choice (unless you have chosen to use analogue compression BEFORE the signal hits the interface). My first move when editing a song is to do a super rough mix (getting to know the tracks in the song if I've not recorded it and getting a general feel of what I can hear and what I cannot - i.e. what needs EQ and where it needs to be done [frequency range]) and following this up with subtractive EQ to fix the problem frequencies in the various tracks.

Choosing to use a compressor is dependent upon a number of different variables. BUT... 99% of the time when I have BOOSTED the EQ on a track, I will put a compressor on right after it. Why? Well, your boost might sound great in isolation (track solo'd) and it might even sound great in the mix, but often when you turn the volume up those boosted frequencies start to get rowdy and fly all over the place. Having a slight bit of compression helps to tame those frequencies without compromising on the tonal adjustments you have made.

I think of it this way:

When I have EQ'd a track (especially when I've boosted frequencies) and then placed a slight bit of comp on it, the comp acts to print the EQ changes in place. If you don't cement them with a comp, then you risk getting a different sound when the volume starts pumping - and we definitely don't want that.

The same idea is essential for various effects as well - adding compression after helps keep the effects in check and printed how you want them to be.

Hopefully my input has been helpful. I have started putting my thoughts into videos recently so hopefully some people can gain from what I've learned.

Edited by Mike Morris
Remembered something else to add...