Using a Distressor on kick drum

Bapu

I have a choice to make on which mic to use with the distressor for kick.

Lewitt DTP 640 REX (dual capsule: FET and Dynamic), obviously can only use one
1970's AKG D12
Shure Beta 52A
AKG D112
Shure Beta 91A

Which would suggest?

Kick is a 22x16 Mapex with a hole in the front kick head.

Edited by Bapu

And I have a choice to make on where to take my vacay, Fiji or the Bahamas. Rich peoples' problems, am I right?

My kneejerk reaction is that once you've distressed the hell out of it, any remaining nuance from microphone choice would be minor.  So go with the D112. Why? Because you can't hurt it. Even if The Hulk is smashing the drums.

But then who am I to say? I use samples. And Toontrax used mics that cost more than my first house.

• Great Idea 1

I would stick the beta 91a inside the kick shell, flip the polarity and use that as your tonal boom sound to blend. Then stick the beta 52a outside and run that through the distressor. I have found that a slightly less detailed percussive sound won't spawn as much gunk when distorted, which should result in a more immediately usable thud.

• Thanks 1

I mean either way works, really.

I personally never really record any drum stuff with EQ or compression unless there's a good reason to do so, and then I process later. There's pros and cons to that - if you do it on the way in, you're committed to the sound, and anything you record after that will build on that sound, but you're locked into your decisions then, good or bad. On the other hand, having endless choices later can mean endless points where you get caught up in the minutiae rather than actually getting on with the damn job!

My boss (me) is a jerk but thankfully he keeps me on track when I want to start fiddling around with effects rather than actually mixing, so the second scenario works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

D12 on the sound hole. 640 REX condenser inside the bass drum pointing at the beater.

Strangely enough, that is my current setup with a solomon sub mic on the resonant head.