Any other way with Dim Pro/Rapture?

OldNick

Dim Pro and Rapture are both very powerful controllers of SF(x) files and their own programmes. BUT...trying to alter the values of particularly the Modulators, where you have to click and scroll and scroll and scroll, 1q/100th at a step, is a right royal PITA.

Is there another way to do this? Help simply says to scroll.

Or is there a sampler that approaches Dim Pro's power that does not require the tediousness of scrolling?

Help appreciated

17 hours ago, OldNick said:

Or is there a sampler that approaches Dim Pro's power that does not require the tediousness of scrolling?

I think the power of Dim Pro is that it's a synthesizer that uses samples.  Not really intended to be a full blown sampler.

There are other better options if you are really looking for a sampler.

NI Kontakt is probably the leading commercial sampler, with a zillion factory and 3rd party instrument sample libraries available for purchase. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6/

• "The industry-standard: KONTAKT powers the biggest selection of sampled instruments available"
  • "Included factory library puts 55+ GB of detailed, creative, and expressive instruments at your fingertips"
  • "Shape your sound with on-board tools including modulation, wavetables, envelopes, and effects"

TX16Wx Software Sampler is an excellent free sampler where you can create your own instruments  from samples: https://www.tx16wx.com/

"inspired and modeled after the best hardware samplers with all the ease and new exciting features of modern software."

• "Extensive sound shaping"
  • "Unlimited modulation"
  • "File browser and active preview"
  • "Powerful mapping editor"
  • "Wave editor and beat slicer"

3 hours ago, scook said:

Of the two synths, I never really used DP. One of the UI differences between DP and Rapture is Rapture supports direct value entry. Double-click to edit a value.

OK! I will check that out. I cut my teeth on Dim Pro and always had an idea that Rapture was far more aimed at electronica than DPro (not sure why...probably laziness!).  I admit I have never really tried it But yeah if it has that feature, then I will give it a good workout.

3 hours ago, abacab said:

I think the power of Dim Pro is that it's a synthesizer that uses samples.  Not really intended to be a full blown sampler.

There are other better options if you are really looking for a sampler.

snip.....

Ironically, it was the Synth side that was annoying me..or to be fair, a certain aspect of it!

I was not specifically looking for a sampler. In my mind they are aimed at using sounds that I or somebody else, have sampled for the job, to create a new SF, rather then taking existing sounds from the web and making SFs. But TX16Wx looks as if it may suit some ideas have for manipulating various aspects of existing stuff, for expressiveness.

By chance I dl'd T16Wx yesterday and I looked at it and quailed 🙄, given the  re-learning curve I am already subjecting my self to. But I am going to have a look when I have settled a bit. Everything seems to show that it is very powerful (which can be good or bad.....if I want to write my music score, starting to manipulate SFs is not getting it done....but my mind is easily distracted by delving)

Hey people. Just in case I have not said this, I really appreciate all your replies and the forum is really great to work with. I have had a couple of bad experiences with forums recently, after the programme I was working with was taken over by a Corporate Firm.

The TX816W is a mighty fine freeware program, for sure.

I am not sure what sorts of sample libraries or sounds are available for that, however.  If it meets your nees, WAY kewl.

As far as commercially available sampler software and libraries go, Native Instruments makes Kontakt, which is in my opinion the best sampler available, and it has a huge number of sounds/libraries available for it, both through Native Instruments and through 3rd party commercial libraries, AND there are a large number of free sample libraries available for Kontakt, too.  Kontakt can be bought separately, or can be bought in a bundled fashion, in their Komplete bundles (multiple flavors of additional separate synths and different combinations of included sample libraries).  

You can also download a FREE Kontakt Player from Native Instruments, which gives you a set of good quality sampled instruments for you to hopefully fall in love with and then maybe you would buy into the full-fledged product.  The sampled instruments that come with the free Kontakt Player are quite good - there just aren't that many of them, but there are enough to give you a good idea of what its capabilities are - and they are quite impressive.  Please note that you would not be able to download the free Kontakt Player and then be able to buy some Kontakt formatted libraries and be able to play them through the free Kontakt Player.  You would at that point need to buy the full-fledged Kontakt to play additional commercial libraries.

Another choice would be the EastWest Play sample engine - similar to Kontakt.  I personally like Kontakt better, and currently have both installed on a couple of my computers, but I am letting my subscription to the EastWest Composer Cloud Plus libraries lapse later this month, because that set of libraries (about 1 TB huge number of instruments), costs about $500 a year, and I only ended up using a small handful of its included instruments.  They have a cheaper subscription package, called simply Composer Cloud, and it runs about $29 a month for access to its libraries.  The Composer Cloud Plus libraries are recorded at 48k sample rate, with 5 different mic positions, while the regular Composer Cloud libraries are samples at 44.1k with I believe 2 mic positions.  Both sound good - I just have upgraded my Kontakt through having their Komplete bundle since Komplete 2 (now on Komplete 12 Ultimate), and once you own Kontakt and whatever libraries you end up with, you will always be able to play them - rather than having to keep paying for the EastWest rolling subscription model.  (EastWest libraries CAN be purchased in smaller chunks of groups of libraries, but you do not get anywhere near the bang for the buck that you do with Kontakt).

Anyways, I hope I have given you some helpful info.  :)

I DO suggest you try the free Kontakt Player (they also have a free Reaktor player, and a free Guitar Rig Player) give those a shot, and see if you like them, and go from there.

Bob Bone

Wow! OK.

(1) I will have to say that I will store this info for a while.

I am back into composing electronic music, after a looong hiatus. So I have enough knowledge to know what I _want_, but I am really rusty on how. :>(. So I take on board all the new stuff, but ....seriously...will look to it in the future.

(2) Maybe I mis-stated my case (more than one reply tells me this😐) . It was not a sampler I was really after, and I plead sad loos (British for lavatories....an interesting typo...for brains!) of memory by asking about a sampler and what that actually means. It was more about a sample _player_ (Dim Pro etc) and my frustration with its UI. A lot of that issue has been dealt with.

HOWEVER....all the input from you guys has me storing it locally for future investigation....when I  stop grinding my teeth to just get music in a new system, I have always been MORE than willing to check alternatives.

I have always preached (and as with so many preachers, tried to practise) that when you are learning a new system (DAW, Programming language, spray painting etc) you need to learn on things that do not matter and accept the "wasted" time as valuable. My trouble now is that having done so much in Cakewalk, I feel that I should "know all of this" and get fraught when I find how much I have lost, or things have clanged. So....impatient.

I would say DimPro and Rapture classic may be out of date, and time to move on to something new. Not to misunderstand, I love them and they are classic Cakewalk synths!

But for new projects and moving forward with supported products for a sample player, you could not lose with Kontakt!

Full disclosure, I only have the free Kontakt Player, which is compatible with all of the NI libraries for sale on the NI website.

All KONTAKT instruments from NI run in the free KONTAKT PLAYER.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6-player/

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6/kontakt-ecosystem/

Do pro and rap are staples, but it is hard not to like kontakt.  There are libraries for everything.  Synths, orch instrumentation drones and rhythm beds like Heavyocity’s stuff.  Ni has sales twice a year and once you get the paid engine there are many free libraries.

that being said, you can program dimpro as a sample synth, you just need to use a 3rd party editor to cut the sample.  Then a text editor to use Sfz.  Now import the sample into dimpro and filter and envelope away.

Edited by Alan Tubbs
Clarity

OK OK I crumble and will try Kontakt :)

Yeah I like Dimentia  and Rupture, but they are certainly OOD, mainly because (IME and AFAIK) they can only handle SFZ format and not SF2, when it comes to using soundfonts and not just wav fiels.