Baby Blue

FreeEarCandy

This tune started back in 2014. I have since acquired some new plugins and have been updating some tunes from the past. The basic theme is about an overwhelming desire to put an end to sadness and depression.  The tune has hills and valleys. An emotionally charged rollercoaster ride of sorts. I used a lot of instrumentation throughout. 

Having received some good feedback on past tunes posted, I have tried to beef up the low end. I did this by panning 2 bass guitars. I also worked on the drums to cut through all that extra low end energy. I may have over done it. Hope not. 

I want to give a shoutout to @Wookiee. Cheer up! We miss you.

Updated version as per comment section recommendations. Reduced AD2 compression on toms, and vocal effects (i.e. VX-64 Vocal Strip Delay) turned off after 1 verse.  Added reverb to drums, adjusted levels and remastered. 

https://www.bandlab.com/free_ear_candy/baby-blue-72d340a0?revId=363c21be-5cf4-ed11-907c-6045bd31b313

Edited by FreeEarCandy
Revision 2.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

I want to give a shoutout to @Wookiee. Cheer up! We miss you.

I am about my dog has been needy lately, there is a track in the works, just having trouble finding time. A close friend died recently he kindly left me his Epiphone SG, which has had some of my attention.

I have been listening as well but just on my tablet which is useless for being honest. 

Thanks for asking. 😎

• Like 1

There’s a lot of Pink Floyd influence here, at least to my ears.

The 2 things I would suggest is to reprocess the drums, they are too far back and overly compressed, and although I understand the vocal effect desired here, it is used throughout the song and muddying the mix and presentation.  I would use it on certain parts of the song for affect, and then ditch it to get the vocals clearer, more up front.  You’ll probably find it builds the drama a little more…

My 2 cents.  Overall nice tune…

On 5/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, KSband said:

Good playing on here. Pretty dark tune. Lot's of different elements going on. The only thing I would change is the drums, they sound over compressed and mechanical.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, David Rossi said:

There’s a lot of Pink Floyd influence here, at least to my ears.

The 2 things I would suggest is to reprocess the drums, they are too far back and overly compressed, and although I understand the vocal effect desired here, it is used throughout the song and muddying the mix and presentation.  I would use it on certain parts of the song for affect, and then ditch it to get the vocals clearer, more up front.  You’ll probably find it builds the drama a little more…

My 2 cents.  Overall nice tune…

Thanks @KSband & @David Rossi for the suggestions! The drum compression was applied inside of AD2 and only on the toms. Ratio 3:1 and a very late attack. The ratio doesn't seem too extreme, but perhaps the threshold of -18db can be backed off.  Funny you mentioned the vocal effects, David. I had intended to shut the vocal effect off but got side tracked & totally forgot. So yeah. I agree its a problem. Great comments! Thanks!

Edited by FreeEarCandy

11 hours ago, Wookiee said:

I am about my dog has been needy lately, there is a track in the works, just having trouble finding time. A close friend died recently he kindly left me his Epiphone SG, which has had some of my attention.

I have been listening as well but just on my tablet which is useless for being honest. 

Thanks for asking. 😎

Good the hear, Wookiee! Yes I heard about your close friend passing and I really didn't know what to say at the time. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Indeed, time is a valuable commodity. Spend it wisely! I look forward to your return and upcoming post.  Cheers my friend!

• Thanks 1

Great intro. Great vox, delivers the goods. Music creates some awesome melodies, also delivers the goods. Mix sounds more than acceptable to me as the overall impact of the vox and music took my mind off the technicalities. Excellent🎶🎶🎶🎶

p.s. i, too, am glad to see Wookiee back....good thoughts and good vibrations🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Great intro. Great vox, delivers the goods. Music creates some awesome melodies, also delivers the goods. Mix sounds more than acceptable to me as the overall impact of the vox and music took my mind off the technicalities. Excellent🎶🎶🎶🎶

p.s. i, too, am glad to see Wookiee back....good thoughts and good vibrations🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry!  Indeed! Wookiie's absence is felt. 

3 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Cool dark soundscape. I really liked the sax around the 1 minute mark. I would for sure address the toms.  Very nice build up to the ending .       Fantastic job !                          mark

Hey Mark! Glad to hear from you. Yes. I had a little time today and took another stab at the project and reposted the results. Personally, while there seems to be something about the toms everyone is hearing, I really don't think its the compression that is causing it. Nonetheless, I removed a great deal of it. Perhaps they are just too loud? Well, to be safe, I also knocked off a few db. 

Glad you liked to overall effort here. 

Hmm very dark and I would say very creative - I think you nailed the theme you were going for. The drums sound wrong but also kind of right given the inspiration - as though they're being 'suppressed' - maybe that was intentional (or not); either way this was a compelling listen.

Good work

Andy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Hmm very dark and I would say very creative - I think you nailed the theme you were going for. The drums sound wrong but also kind of right given the inspiration - as though they're being 'suppressed' - maybe that was intentional (or not); either way this was a compelling listen.

Good work

Andy

Thanks Andy! The drum issue has me puzzled.  My only focus in this project was introducing more low end. Some of the past comments on other projects posted here thought the low end was a bit thin, so wanted to put that feedback to good use in this project.

Well anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts and I'm happy you liked the overall effort, Andy!

I had another listen to the remix (I think).  I believe the issue I'm having with the toms is yes they are a little loud  but , it seems your cymbals have a really pristine sounding reverb with probably a 3 or more second tail. The toms sound Completely Dry and it's putting them in a strange place especially without a noticeable kick.         mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I had another listen to the remix (I think).  I believe the issue I'm having with the toms is yes they are a little loud  but , it seems your cymbals have a really pristine sounding reverb with probably a 3 or more second tail. The toms sound Completely Dry and it's putting them in a strange place especially without a noticeable kick.         mark

Mark. I think you hit the nail on the head, and I went ahead and applied those recommendations. Thanks so much for the advice! I think it made a huge improvement. 

• Like 1

By the title "Baby Blue" I was expecting something along the lines of Gene Vincent.  However, I was pleasantly surprised with this song.  You have indeed presented a very emotional song that puts the listener on that roller coaster ride that you described.  Your vocals also very effectively carry those emotions.  Well done!!!!!

• Like 1

@FreeEarCandy had 10 minutes to do some legal 💩 for Ms W.  Consequently whilst doing that I took the opportunity to listen to some music.

Interesting trip, I can hear the shifting emotions, if I was to constructively crit anything for me the toms sound a little boxy, I think.

I think I am listening to the first mix.

I am listening in the studio but on my Event 20/20's,  Bass seems present enough the vocals are clear and present and full of emotion.

All in all nice job :) 

• Like 1

This has the makings of an epic song!  I listened to the prior version a few days ago, then listened to today's version, and you have done well on the remix.  You use dynamics in a way that grabs one's attention.  That highlights your terrific vocals and guitar playing, making them stand out.  Truly professional, Dean!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@FreeEarCandy had 10 minutes to do some legal 💩 for Ms W.  Consequently whilst doing that I took the opportunity to listen to some music.

Interesting trip, I can hear the shifting emotions, if I was to constructively crit anything for me the toms sound a little boxy, I think.

I think I am listening to the first mix.

I am listening in the studio but on my Event 20/20's,  Bass seems present enough the vocals are clear and present and full of emotion.

All in all nice job :) 

Hi

Like this track a lot - especially the vocals.

Not sure what mix this is, but I think I understand what people have said re the drums - I think Wookie's comment re them sounding a bit boxy is spot on

Apart from that, Great stuff

Nigel

• Like 1