Arturia Keylab MK2 in Cakewalk

Lee D

Please note that:

• I do not think there are any presets for MMcL (nor original Cakewalk) Mackie control surface plug-in.
  • 'Configure layout' is to set relative physical position for several Mackie devices (f.e. left-to-right MCU+XT+XT vs XT+MCU+XT and so on). Related information is displayed on devices, not on computer monitor.

Unless you want to run multiple independent Mackie-compatible control surfaces, there's no reason to download the MMcL version of the MackieControl dll.

By independent, I mean not only do you have more than one control surface, you also don't want surface 2 to change its tracks when surface 1 changes its tracks. It's pretty rare that you should need to do this, unless you want to dedicate one control surface to buses while the other one does tracks.

All of Azslow's and my changes are in the CbB release, so just pick the standard "Mackie Control" surface that comes with CbB.

The presets are nothing other than saved preference settings, and for one surface it should work out of the box with the default settings.

There're only two settings you might need to change:

1.  "Disable Handshake" should be checked for any Mackie compatible surface that doesn't have a specific internal SONAR/Cakewalk mode, or doesn't list SONAR or Cakewalk as one if its compatible DAW's.

2.  If your controller has a master fader, change "Master Fader" to "Bus 1"  rather than "Master 1".  Bus 1 will control the master bus; Master 1 will control the left output (only) to your audio interface , which is not what you want.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Keylab 49 Essential. Some buttons work some don't. You cannot change the DAW command center. However, using the free tool Midi-ox it can be accomplished. I haven't done it with this controller but I have done it with others. A little complex but it is definitely doable. Midi-ox takes a controller message in and can output a completely different message. It can do this with multiple controllers at once and can even route the messages to multiple receiving devices. You do have to leave it running in the background. You also need a midi loop program. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried to get the MMC working with my Keylab 61 MK2 for a long time. In desperation I changed the DAW mode to HUI and everything works except for record button unless I arm the track first with the mouse. Hope this helps someone. I would love to learn how to program everything in ACT too, Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 4 months later...

On 8/8/2019 at 5:28 AM, Lee D said:

Fantastic!  Works great now.  The transport buttons all work except for the "loop" button, the track select buttons, faders, and knobs all work as well. 

Some of the buttons are mapped a little bit incorrectly for the controls. .  i.e. the loop button doesn't seem to do anything but the "metronome" button enables loop mode, etc.  I can't edit the messages the Arturia is sending in this mode, is there a way to edit the configuration on the receiving end to interpret it as a different command?

Thanks so much for the help, that makes a huge difference.

Hallo every one!

I finally got my KeyLab88 mkII Black Edition.
Thanx to you guys I got DAW mode working for the most part.

Lee D mentioned that all of his transport buttons worked with exception of the "Loop" button.
The "Loop" button is not working here aswel, but I can't get the "Record" button to work, does the Record button also work?

I got the Loop button to somewhat work.
Pressing the "Metro" Button toggles the "Loop on/off" button.
So if you've already made a loop section previously, pressing the "Metro" button repeats that same loop selection.

Edit:
Record button works!
Just have to arm recording (Alt-R) on a track first like Mark Bianchino stated above. 
In my case it worked just fine with the built-in "Mackie Control".  Thanx to msmcleod and Azslow.

I'll try Robert Thompson's suggestion tomorrow using the free tool Midi-ox.
I'm curious as to see If can map a button to arm Record a track, and maybe even set loop points using the the punch "In" and "Out" buttons in the "Globalcontrols" session on the keyboard.

But even though as it is I can now use the keyboard with reduced mouse usage.
Awesome!! 

Edited by Ez Tutor

• 2 months later...

I know this is over a year later but I followed all these steps and got everything installed. Nothing on the controller was responding so I closed everything out and restarted. Upon trying to open cakewalk again, it started up and immediately crashed. Does this every time now. So I uninstalled all the dll's and applications I originally put on my computer from this form, made sure my VC redists were up to date, and restarted several times to no avail. I'm just curious if anyone else ran into this because it seems everyone was able to get it working fine here but when I do it, it breaks Cakewalk.

Edited by RED Records