IPAD2 - How to connect iPad 2 as device and MACKIE control surface

Milton Sica

STEP BY STEP

1 - On a computer with an IPAD 2 connected via USB - Install JAILBREAK for the IPAD 2 (there are several videos on Youtube that guide you on how to do this) in order to allow the device to survive.
2 - On a computer, install an old version of Itunes that allows you to GET the MIDI CONTROLLER application from the APP Store. A 12.6.5.3 é uma delas.

image.png.d5eb86ee33d1ae03c7943391d85ad5a8.png

3 - In the APP Store, enter the COMPRAS option where the application previously obtained via Itunes will already be listed. Click on the Cloud icon. The APP Store will ask if we want to install the latest version of the app for our device. We reply that YES and app will be installed.

4 - In the MIDI CONTROLLER create a Connection via Windows TCP, that is, by an IP of the Wi-fi Network used, which must be the same as the one used by the IPAD 2 and the computer where Cakewalk is located. To obtain the ip of the computer on the wi-fi network, just enter the Windows CMD and run the IPCONFIG program. The IP to be informed when connecting the MIDI CONTROLLER is what appears in the line presented as: IPV4 ADDRESS.  In the details of the connection configuration there is one that will receive the port number. Make a note of this number as you will need to enter it in the LoopMe driver setup later on the computer.

5 - Install the LOOPME driver on the computer, as instructed in the MIDI CONTROLLER help.

6 - Run the program that downloads with it with the screen below and inform the same port informed in the creation of the MIDI CONTROLLER connection.
image.png.e452222be40c5b55fef4e465793484aa.png

7 - With that done, it will be enough, already in Cakewalk, to configure the LoopBe device that will already appear as a MIDI device that I configured only as an input device.

image.png.c79002c394d8325460f9933771d39cfb.png

8 - Set up as a control surface like the image below.

image.png.cce67a1abf7dd4788eeb86dee51be94d.png

9 - Finally, access the free preset setup called CUBA on the iPad 2.

So I got it and am using the old iPad 2 as a control surface.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use the software discussed in this video until I broke my iPad. The software worked great and there are several others apps in the Apple Store as well that work the same way. (The key is to use RPT Midi.)

Man, I had the WORST time using Bonjour/RPT. When it actually connected, it was fantastic and worked great, but even with a static IP assigned, I had no end of trouble some days just getting it to work, which is a real buzz-killer when you're about to head out to the live room to do a vocal take and then spend 20 minutes being computer tech instead. :/ 

My "remote control" now is a long USB and HDMI cable through the studio wall connected to an external monitor and keyboard. Works every time!

But yeah, when that above setup worked, it was really good and really intuitive - definitely worth giving it a shot. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, Lord Tim said:

Man, I had the WORST time using Bonjour/RPT. When it actually connected, it was fantastic and worked great, but even with a static IP assigned, I had no end of trouble some days just getting it to work, which is a real buzz-killer when you're about to head out to the live room to do a vocal take and then spend 20 minutes being computer tech instead. :/ 

My "remote control" now is a long USB and HDMI cable through the studio wall connected to an external monitor and keyboard. Works every time!

But yeah, when that above setup worked, it was really good and really intuitive - definitely worth giving it a shot. :) 

I had exactly the same experience.  Having to basically re-do the setup every time I booted up my DAW machine was too much hassle for me.

For vocal takes, I use a nanoKONTROL 2 velcro'd to the wall near to my mic.  It's set up as a Mackie Control and connected to the PC via a 5m USB cable.

• Like 1