Can anyone remind me how to stop multiple Waveshell.dlls being scanned at every CbB startup

ZincT

I'm sure there is a way to stop the multiple Waveshell.dlls (Waves plugins) being scanned at every startup which I seem to have forgotten. I have Wavshell9.92 and 5 different versions of Waveshell10 (as I have v9 & 10 plugins).

Most other plugins are scanned once at CbB (and other DAWs) startup and then no more until they change but Waves seem to be different. I had even thought of making a batch file to move/hide/rename them until I update any of the Waves plugins and then move/unhide/rename again when I need them again but I'm not sure that will work and I'm sure there was a better solution.

Anyone?

Thanks

All VST Shell plugins (a type of VST plugin that contains multiple plugins) get re-scanned by Cakewalk if you have the scan setting "Automatic background scan" or "scan on startup".  I think the idea there is that Cakewalk can't determine if there are any changes to the included plugins by just checking the time stamp on the shell plugin.  But it seems to me that perhaps it's being a bit obsessive.  If the shell's file has not changed it may be reasonable to assume what it contains hasn't changed either.  Perhaps at one time this didn't work so well which is why Cakewalk/SONAR was made to always scan shell plugins.  Reaper doesn't re-scan the Wave's shell plugins unless the time stamp on the shell changes.  Perhaps Cakewalk could improve this.

There are a few other companies that use the VST shell approach to plugins, but Waves is by far the biggest and most common users will encounter.

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

All VST Shell plugins (a type of VST plugin that contains multiple plugins) get re-scanned by Cakewalk if you have the scan setting "Automatic background scan" or "scan on startup".  I think the idea there is that Cakewalk can't determine if there are any changes to the included plugins by just checking the time stamp on the shell plugin.  But it seems to me that perhaps it's being a bit obsessive.  If the shell's file has not changed it may be reasonable to assume what it contains hasn't changed either.  Perhaps at one time this didn't work so well which is why Cakewalk/SONAR was made to always scan shell plugins.  Reaper doesn't re-scan the Wave's shell plugins unless the time stamp on the shell changes.  Perhaps Cakewalk could improve this.

There are a few other companies that use the VST shell approach to plugins, but Waves is by far the biggest and most common users will encounter.

Thanks for the information Matthew. I just tried Reaper, Studio One 4.5 Pro and Cubase Pro 10 and none of them seemed to repeatedly re-scan Waveshell files after multiple startups with their default scan settings.   

I've noticed that too, but since all of my plugins are installed on my internal SSD, the scan is so quick I usually miss it.

I have over 525 plugins, but only a handful are Waves.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

I've noticed that too, but since all of my plugins are installed on my internal SSD, the scan is so quick I usually miss it.

I have over 525 plugins, but only a handful are Waves.

Mine are also on an SSD abacab but I have way too many Waves plugins. 🙄

Anyway, I don't think the problem is the number of Waves plugins but the fact that it re-scans multiple versions of Waveshell every time even when they haven't changed. So for now I have set CbB to manual scan and when I add something new (more often that I should) I do a manual scan.

Edited by ZincT

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, ZincT said:

Mine are also on an SSD abacab but I have way too many Waves plugins. 🙄

Anyway, I don't think the problem is the number of Waves plugins but the fact that it re-scans multiple versions of Waveshell every time even when they haven't changed. So for now I have set CbB to manual scan and when I add something new (more often that I should) I do a manual scan.

this is what I do. New plug-in, new scan. Manual.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

I am constantly having WAVESHELL errors when its time to scan for new VSTs. Here is the error:

1632087201_waveshellerrorCW.png.7f4dc8c99e5a5c62eefde1e8b886298a.png

I just click on ENABLE .. but am wondering WHY this constantly pops up .. 

Doesn't happen here.  Looks like bad install... redo

On 8/6/2019 at 4:23 AM, ZincT said:

I'm sure there is a way to stop the multiple Waveshell.dlls (Waves plugins) being scanned at every startup which I seem to have forgotten. I have Wavshell9.92 and 5 different versions of Waveshell10 (as I have v9 & 10 plugins).

Most other plugins are scanned once at CbB (and other DAWs) startup and then no more until they change but Waves seem to be different. I had even thought of making a batch file to move/hide/rename them until I update any of the Waves plugins and then move/unhide/rename again when I need them again but I'm not sure that will work and I'm sure there was a better solution.

Anyone?

Thanks

I've noticed with Waves plugins there is deep or thorough scanning and flyby scanning.
Where the slower deep scanning only occasionally happens unless I've added a new Waves plugins or updated some.
Just wondering which you are seeing?

Edited by TheSteven

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I've noticed with Waves plugins there is deep or thorough scanning and flyby scanning.
Where the slower deep scanning only occasionally happens unless I've added a new Waves plugins or updated some.
Just wondering which you are seeing?

I'm seeing the same as you TS, and nowadays on the new PC I only have v12 and v11 Waves plugins installed. I also now run CbB in manual scan mode and only scan when I have a new or updated plugin.

I have also noticed though that v12 x64 Waveshell seems to pause for longer than the other Waveshells when scanned no matter which host it is (for me that's Studio One Pro 5, CbB and Cantabile).