Cakewalk won't play or record

Nathan

Question

I installed Cakewalk on a brand new laptop (Win 10) but nothing will play or record. The demo project will load but refuses to play after I hit play. I created a new project and select a track to record on but nothing happens after I hit the record button. I've used and installed Cakewalk on my desktop just fine. What could be happening on my laptop?

4 answers to this question

As @scook was saying, it sounds like your audio device is not configured correctly. If you're using the stock integrated audio card that came with your computer, go to the Driver Settings tab of the Preferences, and see if your Driver Mode is set to WASAPI or not. Integrated audio cards will work best with either WASAPI or MME driver mode. If you're using a separate audio interface for playback, you'll want this set to ASIO instead to use the device's specific drivers. 

Got it - it was the driver mode.  I got it working with my audio card with WASAPI but I had to switch it around once I connected it to my UMC404HD. I originally thought the install was bad because my mouse cursor was always the loading symbol while in the app. Thank you both for the help!