Indiginus Articulation Flexibility

I like the sound of Indiginus' instruments but am often frustrated by the inflexibility of the articulations. Trills and hammer-ons can be selected to follow the scale notes or semitones, which often don't cover all the options I need. For example, while in the key of G for bluegrass, I often need articulations to hit Bb, Eb, F (the minor 3rd of the I, IV, and V chords). You'd think semitones would enable me to hit those, which they do sometimes, but not if I want to slide from Bb to C, for example. There is no one key to get the notes I need. The best way I found to get what I want is to MIDI learn the Master Key and change that on the fly. This works quite well, although it takes some work to figure which key to use to get the interval I want. Also, it was a little tricky to get the mapping from CC value to Master Key. To save someone else some time, I have listed this mapping below. I hope someone finds a use for this besides me.

CC           Master
Values:   Key
1-2:         C/Am
3-8:         C#/Bbm
9-13:       D/Bm
14-19:    Eb/Cm
20-24:    E/C#m
25-30:    F/Dm
31-35:    F#/Ebm
36-41:    G/Em
42-46:    Ab/Fm
47-52:    A/F#m
53-57:    Bb/Gm
58-63:    B/G#m

64-69:    Cm harm
70-74:    C#m harm
75-80:    Dm harm
81-85:    Ebm harm
86-91:    Em harm
92-96:    Fm harm
97-102: F#m harm
103-107: Gm harm
108-113: Abm harm
114-118: Am harm
119-124: Bbm harm
125-127: Bm harm

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

...to MIDI learn the Master Key and change that on the fly

Clever workaround! I wouldn't have thought of that.

I've made no secret of being an Indiginus fanboy, but have to admit the articulations are limited. But for budget $59 instruments it's to be expected that there might be some limitations.  But for just 20 bucks more, have a look at the Slide Lap Steel from Orange Tree Samples. It makes it easy to bend up to a target note. Even when playing more than one note you can make each note conform to the scale. Both it and the Slide Acoustic, which has the same capabilities, are currently on sale as a bundle for $129.

And if anyone wants to hear Indiginus' Renegade guitar (and Resonator guitar), you can hear them in action here. I also used Amplesound's banjo and upright bass. And there's the OrangeTree Mandolin as well. They make a nice bluegrass ensemble. If I were to add another instrument it would be Indiginus' Fiddle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fret_man said:

If I were to add another instrument it would be Indiginus' Fiddle.

You won't regret it. I initially thought the Fiddle was just a one-off novelty. It isn't! To my surprise, it's proven useful in  genres beyond bluegrass, including classical orchestration where you'd layer a solo violin over a violin ensemble for melodic definition.

Loved Merry Maggie, btw. The Fiddle would fit right into that one.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:39 PM, fret_man said:

And if anyone wants to hear Indiginus' Renegade guitar (and Resonator guitar), you can hear them in action here. I also used Amplesound's banjo and upright bass. And there's the OrangeTree Mandolin as well. They make a nice bluegrass ensemble. If I were to add another instrument it would be Indiginus' Fiddle.

Just wanted to say I loved Merry Maggie! I only have Indigenous Electric Guitar, and the sounds are awesome. Switching between articulations can be a bit fiddly sometimes I find.

• Thanks 1