"Rise" Solo Piano Ballad

David Baay

David,

Beautiful composition and melody.  Really speaks out and I love your playing style.

As I typically do my share of midi correcting, I thought I'd be able to hear/feel the "cheat" but I couldn't.

The song breathes very nicely and flows very easily.

My wife also wanted to hear me play on a piano after having played on  "keyboards" for years.  Although I didn't get a G3 she found a way to buy, bring in the house (without me seeing and surprise me for my birthday with an "antique" baby grand). I understand the elation. 

Congrats to you on making beautiful music. 

Thanks for the listens and kind comments, Paul, Bjorn and Arlen. 

Not to keep anyone in suspense any longer...  I did play the whole-step modulation in the middle when I was composing it on the G3, but since I originally intended to just do a quickie recording to capture the outlines of the piece in the DAW that evening, I actually skipped the modulated section which would normally have some different voicing because some of the fingering does work well in the higher key. So the 'cheat' is that I just ripple-edited a copy of the first 24 bars into the middle and transposed them along with the last 8 bars. A little editing of  durations and sustains at the transition point, and... Voila!   Dogs don't know it's not bacon.   ;^)

Re-posted with transposition up to G from Eb. Sounded okay on the digital piano, but is clearer on the real piano in the higher key, and easier to finger the modulation to A, although I'm having to re-learn how to play it there... muscle memory is both a blessing and a curse!