Display Adapter Error Notification on Start up [Solved]

Bill Phillips

If you experience unexplained error notifications from your display adapter software shortly after startup, try powering up your audio interface before you power up your PC. For me if I don't power up my Focusrite 18i8 USB audio interface before restart or power up of my PC, I receive the notification shown in the attached screenshot.

To avoid surges and hardware damage, I've always powered up my audio hardware starting with the audio output source and working through to the speakers (PC > Audio Interface > Monitor Controller > Monitors). But, now I power up the Audio Interface before the PC to avoid the Radeon notification shown in the attachment. My display adapter is a AMD RX 580. I had the same problem with my earlier AMD R7 250.

I'm posting this thinking that I'm not the only person with this problem and that I've picked a title and tags that will allow others with the same problem to find it.

2019-08-05.png

Edited by Bill Phillips

13 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I have an 18I8 as well and have never had an issue like this. I power up my PC. I then power up my 18I8 (and my Mackie Control) and then Power up Sonar/Bandlab. Im guessing it is directly correlated with the AMD RX 580

It's not the RX 580 because I had the same problem with the R7 250. Maybe it's my ASUS X99 DELUXE II motherboard or its chipset. 

Also, both the RX 580 and motherboard have HD audio interfaces but all are disabled except the Focusrite. Maybe if I left one enabled, which I don't want to do because of associated latency, I wouldn't get the error because there would be an available audio interface. I hadn't thought of this before.

Also, when I do use the motherboard HD audio output, I use the SPDIF output to my monitor controller which is also powered down on startup.

Edited by Twisted Fingers

My motherboard audio is left on to monitor audio from YouTube, Media player, exc.

Haven't had any issues because Onboard Audio controls that and my 18I8 uses its own independent speakers. This way I can also play along with You Tube while using my 18I8, thus using both soundcards simultaneously. No extra latency that I can see.

I would give it a shot.

That utility is likely in your startup folder.  Unless you need constant access to your display settings, best to just disable it in startup, then it won't conflict with Cakewalk.

If you need occasional access to the utility, then just find the application and create a shortcut on your taskbar or desktop.

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

My motherboard audio is left on to monitor audio from YouTube, Media player, exc.

Haven't had any issues because Onboard Audio controls that and my 18I8 uses its own independent speakers. This way I can also play along with You Tube while using my 18I8, thus using both soundcards simultaneously. No extra latency that I can see.

I would give it a shot.

Having separate speakers probably eliminates competition for the audio interface, but, it does require a second audio driver which is competing for CPU resources which might increase latency.

40 minutes ago, JonD said:

That utility is likely in your startup folder.  Unless you need constant access to your display settings, best to just disable it in startup, then it won't conflict with Cakewalk.

If you need occasional access to the utility, then just find the application and create a shortcut on your taskbar or desktop.

Is "That utility" the Radeon AMD graphic card settings app? If yes, I agree and plan to do as you suggested since I've resolved the system failure notifications.

46 minutes ago, Twisted Fingers said:

Having separate speakers probably eliminates competition for the audio interface, but, it does require a second audio driver which is competing for CPU resources which might increase latency.

The amount of CPU required is microscopic and does not increase latency in any way. Im not sure who told you that. There ARE sometimes conflicts between drivers which could pose a problem But those are only certain instances.

Most users on this forum run Bandlab the same way. Use their onboard Audio enabled, their Soundcard for Sonar.

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

The amount of CPU required is microscopic and does not increase latency in any way. Im not sure who told you that. There ARE sometimes conflicts between drivers which could pose a problem But those are only certain instances.

Most users on this forum run Bandlab the same way. Use their onboard Audio enabled, their Soundcard for Sonar. 

Thanks.  For now, I'm happy with having my Focusrite 18i8 USB audio interface as the only enabled audio interface.