Cakewalk / Cakewalk Sonar PSR 975 question

Hi,

I am new to this, and was playing with the Free Cakewalk.
Since I don't have any midi adapters yet for my laptop,  is it possible to setup cakewalk, that it know what sounds a Yamaha PSR 970/975 has?
I don't know if it's possible, or if that's how it works.

currently I am just opening a midi file.  Edit it, and save it back,  and the sound is always different.

Any help is appreciated :)

What you're looking for is an Instrument Definition for the Yamaha. A search of the internet may return a positive result. It's also possible to make your own, and I believe there are directions on how to do that in the Cakewalk literature. I've never done one, but I understand it is time-consuming.

The Yamaha should have a General MIDI sound bank, and if your tracks are each using different channels and patches, you should be able to playback what you recorded with the correct patch (sound).

Thank you.

I found one,  and trying to find, where to import it..  

I am reading this article http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/insfiles.htm   but  not finding this in Cakewalk.

So I am wondering it that was for an older version.  Unless I don't know what I am looking for,,

And looking here:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-Definitions#Import

The Define button is greyed out, nor can I select anything else on that screen. ?

Edited by Perry Kappetein

If you download the Cakewalk by Bandlab Reference Guide (top thread link on the page), starting on page 1399 are the instructions.

I've imported instrument definitions (files ending with the extension ".ins") before as well as created my own.  It's a bit fun, and tedious.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:47 AM, Perry Kappetein said:

The Define button is greyed out, nor can I select anything else on that screen. ?

You can import and use instrument definition file (ins) only if you have have at least 1 MIDI Out port installed and activated in preferences --> MIDI --> Devices.

Since you said you don't have MIDI adapter, I assume all this time you transfer MIDI files (in standard midi file extension .mid )  using flash disk (USB drive) between CbB and your Yamaha PSR975.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, Perry Kappetein said:

Hi,

I am new to this, and was playing with the Free Cakewalk.
Since I don't have any midi adapters yet for my laptop,  is it possible to setup cakewalk, that it know what sounds a Yamaha PSR 970/975 has?
I don't know if it's possible, or if that's how it works.

currently I am just opening a midi file.  Edit it, and save it back,  and the sound is always different.

Any help is appreciated :)

You don't need any additional MIDI adapter to connect PSRS970/S975 to Cakewalk. Yamaha PSRS970/S975 has built in MIDI adapter for you to connect to your PC using USB cable. Just get the proper USB cable, connect to your PC, and Windows will automatically install the generic driver to use. Or better yet, download the Yamaha driver (I think it's better than generic Windows driver).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/downloads.html

Once you install it, the device will show in Cakewalk's preferences MIDI device. There you can then define / import the ins file.

16 hours ago, James Argo said:

You don't need any additional MIDI adapter to connect PSRS970/S975 to Cakewalk. Yamaha PSRS970/S975 has built in MIDI adapter for you to connect to your PC using USB cable. Just get the proper USB cable, connect to your PC, and Windows will automatically install the generic driver to use. Or better yet, download the Yamaha driver (I think it's better than generic Windows driver).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/downloads.html

Once you install it, the device will show in Cakewalk's preferences MIDI device. There you can then define / import the ins file.

Oh, so I don't need a Midi cable,  just an USB cable?

Even for doing all the midi stuff?

26 minutes ago, Perry Kappetein said:

Oh, so I don't need a Midi cable,  just an USB cable?

Even for doing all the midi stuff?

That is correct.  See Page 102 of the user guide.

Here is the link for the Yamaha USB driver.  Install this before connecting your PSR970 Keyboard.

ok, had a cable, and installed the drivers.

Looks like there are 2 midi items.

But couldn't get anything to work,  I have found an S970.ins file,  but not for the S975.ins  (i have a PSR-S975)   unless there is a way to create that?

Prob. need to do some more reading, since nothing seemed to work..

Is the Yamaha USB driver listed in Cakewalk Preferences | MIDI | Devices and are they selected.  Is the PSR2725 actually transmitting anything?

Note: Not having the S975.ins file would not prevent the MIDI data actually being sent and received.  The S975.ins file only allows you to select patches, controllers and what not by name within Cakewalk.

Sounds like you have a simple instrument loaded.  Without seeing your screen, it's a bit hard to guess your track configuration.

What you need to do is open the inspector and set the MIDI track's output to the MIDI port.  At the moment, it sounds like the MIDI track is being routed to a VSTi plugin.