Latency after 4 minutes

yogimusic

Question

Hello, I have a new Dell i9 PC laptop running Bandlab by Cakewalk on Windows 11. My interface is the Tascam US 16x08. I'm recording 8 tracks of drums. It works fine with no latency, but after about 4 minutes I start hearing digital clicks and pops, accompanied with some latency. I've tried recording at 44.1 and 48. I'm using the ASIO driver. Pleas advise. Thanks!

Edited by yogimusic
added operating system

9 answers to this question

The other thing I'd offer is that my old 16x08 was getting all kinds of crazy clicks and pops on my ancient dual core laptop towards the end of its life - the interface seemed pretty good for the first few years, so I put it down to the laptop finally needing to be replaced. I put it in my new system and... same thing. I tried several other interfaces, including the onboard Realtek card and they were all flawless. A few years back, another (now ex-) user had similar issues with his 16x08.

It never had crazy latency, so I'd probably suggest that the rest of the advice in this thread is valid re: Dell, bloatware, etc. but it really wouldn't surprise me if this is a combination of the both of those things.

• Thanks 1

What is the actual Dell model?

Support Assist can be an issue with audio.  Disable it in startup, but don't uninstall it as it integrates with the POST (Power On Self Test) and the Dell hardware diagnostics. (Restart the PC after disabling).   

The 16X08 appears to be one problem, since other interfaces appear to run OK.  If the TASCAM drivers are not specified for Win 11, install them in a compatibility mode for whatever Windows version they are for (e.g. Win 10).

Finally download and  run Resplendence Latency Mon and see what that shows.  

Edited by Jack Stoner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1