New Superior Drummer SDX - Stockholm

Scott H

Just finished downloading but now I get a file error: 8763

@Bapu - has this installed ok for you ?

EDIT

I see others are having problems over on the TT forum :(

EDIT2 (for those following at home :) )

I think they patched an issue with the installer during my initial download - so 🤞and downloading again.

Edited by simon

14 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

just wonder what this one could add?

I not sure it adds that much ?

it's a decent set of straightforward drum sounds, well covered already from other SDX libraries.    It doesn't have much added 'sparkle' or interest unlike the others you listed.

Hi Simon

Thanks - I sort of got that impression from the demos - I have one serial number left for an SDX - can't decide between

Decades

Hitmaker

The Rock Foundry

The Rock Warehouse

Do you have a preference on any of those?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated

Nigel

@Bajan Blue

obviously it's down to personal choice, but here's my take.

I'll go in reverse order:

Rock Warehouse - an older SD2 library - sounds good, but I think TT have got much better at sampling and producing SDX in the last few years , wouldn't be my first choice from that list - actually it's my last choice (20gig)

Rock Foundry - also nice (from 2017) - 7 kits, including a 'mono' kit - good selection of solid 'rock-type' sounds - possibly a bit 'vanilla' compared to the next two  (68gig) 

Hitmaker - one of the most recent releases - Hugh Padgham's 'sound of the 80s' set - think Phil Collins, The Police - full recreation of 80s electronic / processed stuff from the engineer/producer who invented the drum sound from that era  (94gig)

Decades - Al Schmitt's SDX - a huge cross section of kits 'through the ages' (hence DECADES) - beautifully recorded in full surround sound.   Less gimmicky than some of the other stuff but covering a huge range of drums/techniques (99gig)

If I had to pick one then it would be Decades, but of course ANY of them will work in more or less any 'modern' genre.    Decades does the least 'steering' for you.  When you load one of the Hitmaker presets it's really asking for you to play/program in one of the 80s styles.  Try loading the 'phil collins' preset and not trying to do the famous fill.

So short answer is Decades - long answer is Decades and Hitmaker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and :)

If I had to fit Stockholm into that list, it would be between Rock Foundry and Hitmaker

it's not nearly as good, varied, versatile as most of the other recent stuff such as Legacy of Rock, Fields of Rock, Rooms of Hansa which you already own.

I'd put Legacy of Rock, Fields of Rock, Rooms of Hansa, Area 33, Hitmaker, Decades all in the same 'quality' ballpark.

Also don't overlook the EZD expansions which work ok in SD3 - I love 'In The Pocket' EZX for example - very different from most SDX

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Simon

Thanks - I sort of got that impression from the demos - I have one serial number left for an SDX - can't decide between

Decades

Hitmaker

The Rock Foundry

The Rock Warehouse

Do you have a preference on any of those?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated

Nigel

I had two slots left myself so picked hitmaker and decades.  Stockholm was not out yet and seems like a smaller room library anyway which is nice to have but not essential (for my taste).

1 hour ago, Bad Penguin said:

For the sake of argument, what is likely the best (sale) price for an sdx 3-pak/value pack that one could reasonably hope for (BF?) ?

Seems to be in the ~$325 range currently. Does/did it ever get down below $300? $270?

I can't remember a single time when Toontrack multi-packs (Drum Midi/EZ Keys Midi/SDX 3-pack) went on sale; I'm guessing this is because they already represent a discount vs buying the individual items.

Your best best is probably to wait for a store-wide coupon. T+S used to do these (but are unfortunately out of business). Best Service sometimes have something like $20/$40 tiered vouchers.

• Thanks 1