Nostalgia

OutrageProductions

Back in late 2001, I ran across my old keyboard player from when we all were in a rock band in High School in '75. He was so broke that I doubt he could afford to pay attention, but he was always a good song writer and great player. So I drove across the country with a laptop, CW Sonar (v5 I think), a weighted 88 keyboard, MOTU 896, and some vocal mics to capture some songs in the dirt floor basement in the tenement house he was in, pro bono.

In less than 24 hours we captured live lead vocal and piano tracks, both audio & MIDI, and then I took the results back to my studio to flesh them out. I called in some chits from all my best session players to do overdubs, and produced this entire record with no more than two players in the studio at a time. Switched between CW and PT several times.

This particular track showcases one of my favorite all time guitarists, Arkadiy Yushin. {his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/@arkanfusionguitar}

Enjoy; Baxter Factor - Stroke of Luck

• Like 2

The song itself is a bit outside my wheelhouse. But, the performances on every bit of this is top notch. And, regardless of genre, I can always appreciate good musicianship. That horn/sax thing is pretty incredible. I feel like this could be performed on stage at the House of Blues at any given time and everyone would be grooving.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lakeland Records said:

It would show up in task manager in Windows but that's all I would get,

I've seen that happen by using an inferior ASIO interface and driver set. Happened in SONAR from X1 - CbB with (some) M-Audio and MOTU FW drivers from WIN7 - 10. Very spotty. Got rid of the drivers and it's been a dream since 2018.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, OutrageProductions said:

I've seen that happen by using an inferior ASIO interface and driver set. Happened in SONAR from X1 - CbB with (some) M-Audio and MOTU FW drivers from WIN7 - 10. Very spotty. Got rid of the drivers and it's been a dream since 2018.

I've thought about that when the problem was occurring several years ago, but my interfaces are RME .  Those drivers are top notch and I've never experienced a problem with them.  

1 hour ago, Lakeland Records said:

Those drivers are top notch and I've never experienced a problem with them. 

I have examined the minidump files when CW very occasionally quits unexpectedly on big projects on me, and 99% of the time it is because I tried to do something (like freeze or expel a large VSTi, or cancel an Export) and move on to the next operation before the program has had a chance to properly flush and reallocate RAM. I just go get a fresh cupper and in 7 minutes it clears out of the Task Manager and I can relaunch and continue. I'm used to it happening about once a month. But I also only reboot the machine if required by Win updates about once a month also. 

In between big sessions I flush the Standby and Working Sets of RAM with a batch file I wrote in the CMD window. Never fails to make things continue to work more or less seamlessly. 

While we audiophiles could pick apart some things here and there, the performance and talent contained in this track are outstanding. Really nice work by all involved. Yeah. The use of the sax is a delightful treat, for sure. Nevertheless, the keyboard work deserves a trophy too. This has a very creative groove going on, and everyone has tapped into it elegantly. Well done! 

• Thanks 1

That is a great story about your reunion.  This is a great track  --  great performances by all.  To these old ears the mix does not sound "over produced" and you have kept that live performance feel to this song.

Well done indeed!!

• Thanks 1