Need sampler

Eve Ripper

5 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

Yes, I am talking about full sampler with abilty to record, sample, resample how it was done before in Cakewalk with it's Dropzone, Cyclone, etc.

Correct.  That's why I think they should have offered the base Sampler product, even without the sample libraries.  It's kind of a big part of a DAW which enables a lot of people to take their creativity up a notch (or enable it completely, depending on what type of music you're producing).

Best option is to just use something cheap like Structure 2, in the meantime, and hope they bring back some of the SONAR stuff soon'ish.  But that stuff was already aging by the time they shut it down.  So, I'm not sure what they plan to do.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:10 AM, pwalpwal said:

sorry i suppose i meant "bundling anything instrument-wise" because the stock plugs plus the pro channel do cover all the processing bases ootb

They do cover the basics, but some of the plugins in Creative FX Plus would require you to set up plug-in chains with Sonitus:FX to replicate (and there are a few really good ones).  Using those is a workflow win.  I also (personally) like having a set of base plugins that are consistent and work across DAWs and Platforms, that way if I ever switch I can alleviate learning curve by using them until I acclimate myself to what's in the other DAW - which may , or may not, be better than they are.

I don't consider Sonitus:FX to be a complete set of base plugins, but I suppose they were never meant to be.  One of the biggest selling points of SONAR, like Logic Pro X, was its amazing bundle of Mix, Mastering, and Effect Plugins and Instruments.

If you don't need them, then you can upgrade to AIR Instrument Expansion  Pack 3 SELECT instead of COMPLETE and save ~$20  👌😉

On 10/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, pwalpwal said:

my base plugins are eq, compressor and reverb :D

what else should be in there? (gate, limiter?)

Whatever anyone feels is necessary to do their work 😛 

Different people have different needs and requirements.

People who do Electronic Music, for example, are certainly going to want (and need) a bit more than that.

No one has to spend money on that stuff.  We all get to choose our own path 😉

2 hours ago, Some Guy said:

Whatever anyone feels is necessary to do their work 😛 

Different people have different needs and requirements.

People who do Electronic Music, for example, are certainly going to want (and need) a bit more than that.

No one has to spend money on that stuff.  We all get to choose our own path 😉

so what are your base plugins? :)

Hey CbB´s 

I´m using Sitala as a Sampler for weeks now and i´m very impressed of this Free NOT ONLY Drums Sampler. !

I like the possibilities in Sitala i have.
Can import any kinds and lenghts of Samples into it and edit multible them direct in the VSTs Window and the Knobs.
After the imports and editings, i can save it as my own Kit !! Thats what i like most in Sitala.
You should have a look at this Plug-In
Follow this Link: https://decomposer.de/sitala.html

All the best ....

Ralf

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, Ralf said:

Hey CbB´s 

I´m using Sitala as a Sampler for weeks now and i´m very impressed of this Free NOT ONLY Drums Sampler. !

I like the possibilities in Sitala i have.
Can import any kinds and lenghts of Samples into it and edit multible them direct in the VSTs Window and the Knobs.
After the imports and editings, i can save it as my own Kit !! Thats what i like most in Sitala.
You should have a look at this Plug-In
Follow this Link:https://decomposer.de/sitala.html

All the best ....

Ralf

Free samplers are good, especially the one you mentioned but I think a built in one that's more oriented towards the workflow of cakewalk would be better. The sampler in ableton fits well with abletons workflow for example :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen Ajewole said:

Free samplers are good, especially the one you mentioned but I think a built in one that's more oriented towards the workflow of cakewalk would be better. The sampler in ableton fits well with abletons workflow for example :)

And as far as I can tell, when you insert a 3rd party sampler into Cakewalk as an instrument, you cannot live sample directly into the sampler, even if the plugin is capable of exposing an audio input.

Cakewalk will not allow you to route audio into an instrument track, as that function appears to be undefined in this DAW. Instruments in Cakewalk do not have audio inputs, like insert effects bins or audio tracks have.  

A sampler can only live sample if an audio signal is present for it to sample. In Cakewalk, a workaround is to place pre-recorded samples into the sampler. Although you could first record an audio clip onto an audio track, then drag and drop  the recorded  clip into the sampler.

So that would prevent any type of workflow where you might want live sample directly from an audio input, such as from a microphone or other external instrument. I think that this is a good usage case for an integrated sampler in the DAW.

Note: I have compared this scenario in Reaper, and you can live sample with a 3rd party sampler in Reaper, because you can route an audio source directly to an instrument in that DAW, if the instrument plugin is capable of exposing an audio input.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

What happens if you drag the VSTi into a track's FX bin rather than the synth rack?  Some synths (eg. Pentagon) do expose their inputs in this way (Pentagon works as a vocoder if you so).

I believe that some VSTi synths will function in "FX" mode when you do that with the track's FX bin.

I have tried that, but if you can find a way to do that with a sampler in Cakewalk, please post a video showing us a how-to. Until I see it  working that way, I am afraid that I will have to defer that method to the "urban legends" category. ;)

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, abacab said:

if you can find a way to do that with a sampler in Cakewalk

I have  played around with sampling modules in modular synth plug-ins. Most are not much more than the loopers included in some ampsims but they do have CV control for most of their features including pitch which may be mapped to MIDI. They will sample audio when placed in an audio FX rack just like ampsim plug-ins with built-in loopers (or regular looper plug-ins). Why this does not work other sampling synths is a good question for the plug-in developers.

TX16Wx does not see CbB audio but this is not unique to CbB. It appears that TX16Wx does not see audio from any DAW other than Reaper. This is why I suggest it is down to the plug-in developer. Note: the footnote on the TX16Wx site does not mention any hosts that support the feature, just a vague statement "Host dependent feature." It would be interesting to know which hosts it supports. AFAIK, it does not support recording in any other DAW. At least, I am unable to find any other DAW mentioned. The last mention from the developer I found is https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5900043#p5900043

Well, if the host actually routes audio to it, recording in TX16Wx is as easy as pressing the "record" button. But one caveat is that many hosts don't support routing audio to instruments. I am unsure about tracktion. The only host I know 100% supports it is REAPER.

That said, there are FX and synth plug-ins when placed in a CbB audio FX rack that can record audio into the plug-in but I have not found any dedicated sampler synth plug-in that does. There are other synths when added to a CbB audio FX rack simply process the audio stream just like FX plug-ins. How synths handle audio in CbB is up to the plug-in developer.

3 hours ago, scook said:

TX16Wx does not see CbB audio but this is not unique to CbB. It appears that TX16Wx does not see audio from any DAW other than Reaper. This is why I suggest it is down to the plug-in developer. Note: the footnote on the TX16Wx site does not mention any hosts that support the feature, just a vague statement "Host dependent feature." It would be interesting to know which hosts it supports. AFAIK, it does not support recording in any other DAW. At least, I am unable to find any other DAW mentioned. The last mention from the developer I found is https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5900043#p5900043

That said, there are FX and synth plug-ins when placed in a CbB audio FX rack that can record audio into the plug-in but I have not found any dedicated sampler synth plug-in that does. There are other synths when added to a CbB audio FX rack simply process the audio stream just like FX plug-ins. How synths handle audio in CbB is up to the plug-in developer.

FXpansion´s Geist installs a small plugin called Spitter that is placed in the FX bin of any audio track as audio effect and captures the audio and sends it to Geist to be sampled. I haven´t used it in a while, but it used to work perfectly in Sonar Xx. You can even set an input threshold for it to start recording. The thing is that, at least for me, in practice is more convenient to record to an audio track and then drag what you want to  the sampler. I can see that if you want to do it in a live context you need other workflow, but if you want to mimic the MPC, for example, what you need first is a suitable dedicated hardware controller. That is IMO why live sampling is the realm of the MPC itself, and Maschine and Push, together with other totally computer independent solutions.

14 hours ago, scook said:

I agree that Reaper seems to stand out from the crowd as unique in this regard. But I don't think the plugin developer can have any more control over the DAW side of things in this situation.

With Reaper it's as simple as routing a send from the source audio track  to the sampler track, then pressing record inside the sampler plugin. So the plugin is ready to receive an audio signal.

Therefore my assumption is that TX16Wx is programmed correctly for the task, and exposes an audio input, but most DAWs don't accept an audio input directly into an instrument plugin.

I also tried it in Tracktion, and could not get any audio into the TX16Wx plugin, even though I could send audio to the track that the TX16Wx plugin was inserted on and I could record audio directly onto an audio clip on that track. But it appears that the same issue here is that the DAW will not receive the audio input to the sampler, even if the sampler has an available audio input.