Need sampler

Eve Ripper

I think we really need new sampler to use it in Cakewalk.

In world of free software I really like TX16WX which can be used not as a sample player but really as a sampler.

https://www.tx16wx.com/ - link to TX16WX. This is a great free sampler which main task is to make samples, not to work with libraries, etc. It can be used with everything. I use it nowadays for drums which I like to play on midi pads at home.

We had Session Drummer which really needs to be updated. I think modern music needs samplers with MPC workflow. On other hand we have Addictive Drums/Session Drummer for those who need real acoustic drums.

We also had old plugins for this task. But nowadays do we really need to buy NI Battery? S1 users have a great Impact Drum Module and Ableton Live users can use Drum rack or Impulse drum sampler. I think Cakewalk needs its own thing to use.

Edited by Eve Ripper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

22 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

I think we really need new sampler to use it in Cakewalk.

In world of free software I really like TX16WX which can be used not as a sample player but really as a sampler.

https://www.tx16wx.com/ - link to TX16WX. This is a great free sampler which main task is to make samples, not to work with libraries, etc. It can be used with everything. I use it nowadays for drums which I like to play on midi pads at home.

We had Session Drummer which really needs to be updated. I think modern music needs samplers with MPC workflow. On other hand we have Addictive Drums/Session Drummer for those who need real acoustic drums.

We also had old plugins for this task. But nowadays do we really need to buy NI Battery? S1 users have a great Impact Drum Module and Ableton Live users can use Drum rack or Impulse drum sampler. I think Cakewalk needs its own thing to use.

I agree that we do need a native sampler in cakewalk, but thanks for the link to the free sampler.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reaper, which is a “free” daw also has very very very limited sampler. I think we don’t need thing like that. We have a great step sequencer which I really like but there’s no built in instrument to really use it.

I  really like to watch Future music beat makers, which are making beats fast in Ableton Live without Battery or other third party sampler.

Well, there’s still a hope...

5 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

Reaper, which is a “free” daw also has very very very limited sampler. I think we don’t need thing like that. We have a great step sequencer which I really like but there’s no built in instrument to really use it.

I  really like to watch Future music beat makers, which are making beats fast in Ableton Live without Battery or other third party sampler.

Maybe you were unaware, but Session Drummer will let you load your own samples, drag and drop, directly onto any pad in the  drum kit.

Then set up your pattern in the step sequencer, and trigger those samples.

Edited by abacab

On 2/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, abacab said:

Maybe you were unaware, but Session Drummer will let you load your own samples, drag and drop, directly onto any pad in the  drum kit.

Then set up your pattern in the step sequencer, and trigger those samples.

But, Session Drummer is not included with Cakewalk by BandLab.  New users like me will be working with what is available now, not with what was available to former users of Sonar Platinum.

@Eve Ripper, Reaper is not free even though many people never pay for it.  Reaper has a free trial but there is a expectation that if you continue to use it past the trial period you pay for it.

Edited by Jim Fogle
Added Eve Ripper note.

28 minutes ago, fogle622 said:

But, Session Drummer is not included with Cakewalk by BandLab.  New users like me will be working with what is available now, not with what was available to former users of Sonar Platinum.

Yep, I was aware that it was not included in CbB, but the OP mentioned having Session Drummer, so I figured they should know about that feature.

Also, this is a mixed crowd in this forum. As long as it is relevant, and made clear what is and is not included so as to lessen confusion, it is on-topic.

Are you in need of a sampler, and if so what are your needs?

The step sequencer is still included with CbB, so you can trigger any synth or sampler that you can get your hands on with patterns in that.

It does seem that CbB is very lean in the included instruments department, but that is probably going to be expected with a free DAW. Sort of a "bring your own instruments", roll your  package kind of deal. Get the DAW for free, but buy or bring your instruments and plugins.

Expecting totally new instruments to be developed and distributed for free, while maybe a nice idea, is probably going to be an unrealistic expectation.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

abacad,

I agree that expecting new instruments at this stage is not reasonable.  My comment was not to dispute your comment but to amplify reality for new users such as myself.  I apologize that I misunderstood Eve Ripper's statement.  I understood Eve's "We had Session Drummer which really needs to be updated" to mean Session Drummer was no longer available.

• Like 1

Just for the record, these are the included plug-ins that come with CbB: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Plug-ins.1.html

If you have an older version of Sonar, you can install that before installing CbB, then your old plugins will be available to use in CbB as well. You can also use any 3rd party plugins you may already have.

I think that some great suggestions have been made, and it will never hurt to ask for things that could improve the product or make it more relevant.  You never know when they might be listening!

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Just for the record, these are the included plug-ins that come with CbB: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Plug-ins.1.html

If you have an older version of Sonar, you can install that before installing CbB, then your old plugins will be available to use in CbB as well. You can also use any 3rd party plugins you may already have.

I think that some great suggestions have been made, and it will never hurt to ask for things that could improve the product or make it more relevant.  You never know when they might be listening!

Session drummer lacks simple sample load. If you’re using multisamples, layering that thing is not good in that way.

12 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

Session drummer lacks simple sample load. If you’re using multisamples, layering that thing is not good in that way.

Huh? What could be simpler than dragging and dropping a wave file onto the Session Drummer GUI? You can place a different sample on each pad of the kit. That should provide for a simple percussion sampler.

For layering multi-samples and creating multi-sampled instruments, you will likely need a real sampler, such as the previously mentioned TX16Wx.

Edited by abacab

On 2/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, Eve Ripper said:

That's Live's forte. 

• Like 1

Not every DAW is going to be great at everything. That's why there are so many of them, as people have different needs.

I also have Ableton Live 10.  It is great for some things, but sucks at others. I don't think I would ever be happy with just one DAW.

You should seek a tool that already works the way that you want to work. Otherwise you face an uphill climb if you choose a tool that doesn't fit your needs, and try to change it to fit.

• Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

I think it is right to be happy with one DAW)

Considering that the pro engineers have been using Pro Tools their whole career.   There was a complaint on the FL Studio forum about not having ARA.  Pro Tools, FL, Live, and Reason doesn't have it. Their comment was "Perhaps ARA is more useful for professional DAW's."  Well the industry standard doesn't.   Some DAWs cater to genres.  So if I had a band that wanted to do some recording I'm probably going to use stuff like Bandlab, Reaper or S1.    There are complaints that DAWs that are great for recording are trying to move to the EDM crowd.  

Some people also treat DAWs like they are religions.  I've seen people get flamed for switching over legitimate reasons. 

Edited by kitekrazy

On 2/20/2019 at 11:44 PM, abacab said:

You should seek a tool that already works the way that you want to work. Otherwise you face an uphill climb if you choose a tool that doesn't fit your needs, and try to change it to fit.

So true.   But, most DAWs limit their trial versions so much it is difficult to obtain a feel for workflow.

12 minutes ago, fogle622 said:

So true.   But, most DAWs limit their trial versions so much it is difficult to obtain a feel for workflow.

Not so sure about "most". I think 30 days with unlimited features is typical for a full trial version. Unless you are referring to the "lite" or "intro" bundled versions, with cut-down feature sets.

Reaper is rather unique in that the trial never expires.

Of course  Cakewalk  now has an unlimited trial! Enjoy!