Importing Track Properties ONLY

To add what I generally do is all my projects share a base template and by template I will say it might not have started that way, but as I re visit older projects I update them to include my latest choices of buses and effects. If a bus is missing, I insert it. And effects are easy to duplicate because they all have presets. 

When ever I feel a certain song turned out real good, I go into it and I save  presets in the effects and instruments and name it after that song.  

Then I will open a re visited song I'm not happy with,  and lay it out exactly like the one I one did like by using the same routing and insert those effects or instruments and choose the preset that worked on the other song.  It really doesn't take much for me because my songs are not overly complicated.  

one way to cheat - i save my (mostly) completed mix project as a template. a normal .cwt file. copy over to the core/track templates folder and rename it to .cwx (a track template). the insert into a blank project. everything except the audio bits is not there. all the tracks, busses etc. the downside - all your buss colors are missing (in my case take a minute or two to reset) and still need to get audio into it.

my main method nowadays - use a recording template to record or load client files for cleanup etc. rename to match my templates. then export all tracks, then import them into my mix template which has most of the routing i do routinely already prepped. no dragging and dropping across projects etc. then just remove stuff i'm not using or add a few i think i need etc. 

so using that methodology, using the mix project -> template -> rename as cwx, and import into blank project and feed the recording and export, and voila - end up in same place. really just making sure that each project has all the same (mostly) settings after getting a mix completed that will form the basis for the rest. works good when recording live instruments and  the # of instruments are essentially the same and looking for a consistent sound across the tracks.

i don't mind have multiple projects to do each step as projects are light, and the number of audio files with good naming, aren't necessarily exploding in #'s so overall space is not a problem.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, John Vere said:

This is why a person should use the DAW that works for you .  Each will have certain features unique to only that DAW. 
Cakewalk can’t always do what Pro Tools can do and in probably more ways Pro Tools can’t always do what Cakewalk can do.  
Actually for me Pro Tools is a DAW I like second best and I found it user friendly unlike the rest of them. So why not just use it?  It’s very good at Audio projects but Cakewalk has it beat for using midi tracks ( for me anyway) 

Except that feature is not unique to ProTools. If we work that logic backwards, you'd be told to jump ship a few years ago if you suggested ProTools should have folder tracks or Plug-in Delay Compensation.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, John Vere said:

Funny. 2. Features I have never used.  Which is part of equation for which DAW is right for you.  

And this is the reason Ardour/Mixbus is stuck in the past when it comes to other DAWs. That's the response the lead developer always gives when said feature is not something he uses or can find a use for and doesn't implement it because of that.