It is Needless ,The Snap On for Control data

midist

I was trying to use Cakewalk BL's Piano Roll, but I returned to Sonar X3 again...

I describe some reasons.

1. There are no  need for 'Snap On' for controller datas. [Picture. 1]

Most of controller data is useful when they present preceding or after notes.

If they were on the same position of the note, it is possible to occur unpredicted  volume error.

Because the contoller become effective after the note sounds, sometimes.

The Previous 'Sonar 8 and Sonar X3' didn't  have this function. Cubase does too.

1-snap1.jpg.9fbfe8f0a9e6ab26437f4005586c354f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I suggest option for "Smart tool catchs controller On/Off'"  [Picture. 2]

Some people prefer "Off" .

2-contol.jpg.8a55216bad88cf9b640fb682f51e3e03.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I suggest  'The Switch for alternative tools',  as StudioOne4 or Cubase.  For example: 

Alt + PencileTool => SmartTool (or) Selection Tool

Ctrl + PencilTool => Enable to  enter note.

Shift + SmartTool => Adding the selection (Like Sonar 8)

Ctrl + SmartTool => Exclude the selection (Like Sonar 8)

4. The 'Time+' parameter needs for shortcut key in Track inspector. [Picture. 3]

3-shortcutkey.jpg.b4b7ce4bb621128159b94cd619a24903.jpg

5. I suggest the shortcut key for 'snap on/off' in PRV. [Picture. 4]

4-snaponPRV.jpg.e4391766b058349ebeea285b2e3e20c6.jpg

6. I suggest the shortcut key for switch the selection fo visual tracks in piano roll view, loke as old Sonar.

5-v.jpg.eb4f498a85adfbe181106f964076c622.jpg

Edited by midist

X3 does have "snap to" in the Controller view and it is also able to be disabled / enabled by typing an "N" when in the PRV.
Of course it doesn't look the same as in the newer PRV.

CBB is the same, in that you can disable / enable "snap to" in the controller lanes by typing an "N" which also works for notes.

The value that I see in snapping controllers to the grid is that it saves visual space and is more easily edited in some instances.
If you're recording your controller data real time with a keyboard it will not snap to the grid.

If you already have controllers in the wrong place then type an "N" to disable snap and then use the move tool when
holding down Shift
and you can easily move them to before the note without loosing their vertical value.

"V" (Invert view) seems to have been removed because of the new PRV design. The work around is mouse oriented but functional,
but I agree the older PRV was more hot key effective. Also, Creating Filters is something you should look at.

I'm still doing all of my serious work in Sonar Platinum ... the version just before the new PRV was introduced,
and I still have X3 installed also, but I'm attempting to use CBB to see if I can get used to the new PRV.

A Time+ hot key doesn't seem necessary to me.
If I ever have to use it for larger values I just click in the box, hit ENTER and then type in my guess
like 32, 64, 80, 100 etc. and then as I hear it getting close I refine the choice.

Edited by Steve_Karl
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve_Karl said:

Thanks your advices.
I know already something you mentioned.

I use also 'Snap off'  when I draw contol data, but I think always 'Why do I press this 'Snap Off hot key' inconveniently? 
Control data has no need to be Snap On, basically..."

And in Track Inspector, we must enter '+' mark to aply positive value always. If we entered just '20', as a result it shows '20:01:000'.
This is a little stupid.. Who does want 20:01:000 value as track offset value? 
And Mr. Noel Borthwick admitted 'it is a bug that these hotkeys( +, -, [, ] ) dosen't operat.

Edited by midist