Clips with audio playing showing as flat lines in track view

EDT

Is this a bug I need to sort somehow? My project just crashed and crashed by laptop completely. When I reopened it most.of the tracks now show no waveforms just flat lines then a random bit of waveform here and there. It appears to play ok so the audio must be there.

How can I fix this?

Cakewalk can't crash your laptop. Its more likely that your PC crashed :)
As long as the audio files are on disk you should be able to regenerate the waveforms:

Open the project
Press CTRL-A to select all the audio 
Right click on any audio clip and choose "Associated audio files" from the context menu
Choose "Recompute Pictures"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I had a similar problem and I tried to follow Noel's instructions, but I don't have the option to choose "Associated audio files" or "Recompute Pictures".

I'm actually using Sonar 6 (circa 2005) and am having the issue of not being able to see the wav file in track view.

I'm recording on a Tascam digital portastudio and then importing the tracks into Sonar.  When I load them the wav file shows as normal, but if I close and then reopen the project then I can't see the wav anymore.

I'm getting back into home recording after almost a decade and am trying to stick with the DAW I'm comfortable with.  Maybe it's just so old that it's not going to work properly anymore...or maybe it's something simple I'm missing, but any help/advice would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Eric Bohlke said:

I know this is an older thread, but I had a similar problem and I tried to follow Noel's instructions, but I don't have the option to choose "Associated audio files" or "Recompute Pictures".

That version is 15 years old !  I don't remember back that far but Sonar will also re-compute them if you perform some sort of process so if you use the the gain command but leave it at zero that should re-draw the wave without changing the audio

image.png.1f769e8c6de2e0bfebd076a85d870e74.png

( pic from CBB but should be similar menu in S6 )

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

@Eric Bohlke  are you aware that the latest version of Cakewalk is available free? You need to upgrade and then you'll have support. There have been a zillion bug fixes and improvements  since Sonar 6. The skylight interface is a bit different but a lot of the basic stuff is familiar. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Eric Bohlke said:

I'm getting back into home recording after almost a decade and am trying to stick with the DAW I'm comfortable with.  Maybe it's just so old that it's not going to work properly anymore...or maybe it's something simple I'm missing, but any help/advice would be appreciated.

It won't take you long to get comfortable with Cakewalk. It's like if you visited a city you were familiar with, 10 years later. Most of the buildings you knew are still there and everybody still speaks the same language, but now there are some new restaurants, the walkway along the river has been spruced up, the movie theater improved their sound system, etc. There is a bit more traffic, but you'll quickly find some side roads that get you where you need to go :)

Besides, you can install the two side-by-side and work with Cakewalk on new projects until it becomes familiar.

Edited by Craig Anderton
mention that they can be installed side-by-side
  • Like 1

Try the new CbB,   There is so much more to like and the stability of the program is on another level.     Plus did they tell you it is free now ;)

Also I want to add, sooner or later you will have to make the plunge.  Might as well start now while you are getting back into home recording :D

• Like 1

Wow.  Thanks for the quick responses and for not making fun of me for using a 15 year old DAW!😂

So the first time this happened I did "edit-bounce to clip" and it brought the wav file back.  But that no longer works.  I tried what Mark suggested.  In Sonar 6 it's "process-audio-gain", but that did not work.  I had previously tried clearing the picture cache and that didn't work.  And I can't find anything for redrawing waveforms in this DAW.

Like I said, I uploaded files that I recorded on a Tascam portastudio and the wav files showed up flat.  So I did "edit-bounce to clip" for each track and the wav files showed up.  I spent about 3 hours editing and mixing with no issues.  I closed the program, got some dinner and when I came back and reopened is when the problem came up again and the "bounce to clip" thing I previously did would no longer work.

I tried recording something straight into Sonar instead of pulling in previously recorded tracks and it was the same - getting sound, but no visual wave.

I actually downloaded Cakewalk a few months ago and like it better than other DAWs I tried (Reaper, Studio-One, Ableton), but I still prefer Sonar.  I do all live instrument recording and I love the straightforward simplicity of it.  The layout is clean and easy.  I can work quick on it in terms of comping and editing takes.  I like the sonitus EQ.  It's everything I need in a DAW!

I did open up the Sonar file in Cakewalk and everything transferred in smoothly and plays just fine.  I'd prefer to stick with Sonar, but at least I know I can still work on these.

Edited by Eric Bohlke

8.5.3 was the pinnacle of what I think of as 'old' Sonar....Used it for 10 years and I'd probably still be using it had the whole CBB being free just as I was building a new DAW PC not happened.

Honestly once you get used to CBB though you'll wonder why you waited so long, it's so much better but also like an old friend.

Sorry but I have no idea why you're not getting Waveform images - I take it the picture cache was intact on CBB ?

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

8.5.3 was the pinnacle of what I think of as 'old' Sonar....Used it for 10 years and I'd probably still be using it had the whole CBB being free just as I was building a new DAW PC not happened.

Honestly once you get used to CBB though you'll wonder why you waited so long, it's so much better but also like an old friend.

Sorry but I have no idea why you're not getting Waveform images - I take it the picture cache was intact on CBB ?

Yeah, I'm going to take this as a sign from the home recording gods to move on to a newer DAW.  Probably for the best as I can only imagine how many more issues could come up using something so old and unsupported.  I've used Cakewalk before and liked it so I'm going to start working on that.  I just need to get used to a new layout.

Appreciate the responses Mark!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

From my SONAR Home Studio 6:

draw waves.png

I tried that option and my version of Sonar doesn't have the "Recompute Picture" button (see screenshot).  Either way, I think it's best if I quit being stubborn and just learn a new DAW...haha.  Thanks for replying though!

sonar 6 screen.jpg

The problem, Eric, is that those of us who've used SONAR 6 are all old farts who have trouble remembering what we were doing last month, let alone in 2005. :D

Trust me, the new DAW will be a huge step up from S6 (or even 8.5, which I agree with Mark was SONAR's pinnacle). Since you're getting back into it after a long absence, you're going to have to face a learning curve anyway. Might as well put that unavoidable effort into CbB. We'll be here for ya.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The problem, Eric, is that those of us who've used SONAR 6 are all old farts who have trouble remembering what we were doing last month, let alone in 2005. :D

Trust me, the new DAW will be a huge step up from S6 (or even 8.5, which I agree with Mark was SONAR's pinnacle). Since you're getting back into it after a long absence, you're going to have to face a learning curve anyway. Might as well put that unavoidable effort into CbB. We'll be here for ya.

Thank you!  I can tell this will be a great resource for any questions.  I've only used Cakewalk/Sonar for recording and I definitely want to continue with it.  I moved from cassette 4 track to computer in 2002 when I got Cakewalk Guitar Tracks.  I was using my tascam 4 track as an "interface" for that.  Then I got Sonar 6 and a proper interface in 2006 and used that till about 2014.  Since then my musical free time went more towards playing in bands than home recording so I forgot most of what I knew and am having to reteach myself.

Edited by Eric Bohlke

I often work with audio only projects when I record a band. You can ignore the hundreds of features and in way that part of Cakewalk is pretty much the same as it always was. I bet if you just watch a few basic set up videos you’ll quickly learn how to navigate the new workspace. 
For audio recording the pro channel is probably well worth the ticket price and that alone will be worth time spent 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...